FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)
Old May 20, 2018, 7:32 pm
RedLight2015

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by tmiw
They got NFC support back in 2011 though those may be a different model than the picture posted.

Speaking of which, San Diego uses the same model but I'm pretty sure they didn't shell out the extra money to enable the NFC portion. On the other hand, there is a small subset of meters there (near Seaport Village) that support AmEx.

This actually happens pretty often in Mexico, except that if there's no AmEx sticker it's a pretty good bet that they don't accept it
They're the same model here in Phoenix as well, but all the City of Phoenix does is make you use their stupid ParkMobile app, again, with the apps cluttering my phone all for the sole purpose of paying for something.

That being said, the article in 2011 doesn't look like it was for contactless, rather, like the city of Phoenix, a payment app. These IPS meters actually have contactless in them which is only a good thing.

Though something tells me that Phoenix, and San Diego probably didn't shell out the extra $100 or so per meter to have the ones with contactless built in. They all do have EMV at least, so there is a little hope for that. Very little, as parking meters even in the UK and Canada don't take EMV, a lot are still magstripe!