Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Annes Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Old May 20, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: Skymiles
I was reading an article I have to find somewhere about how SF’s NFC enabled parking meters will be the largest NFC tap to pay installation of any type in the world.

Yes they labeled contactless as Apple Pay...sorry MikesYr18 . The plus side. It’s another thing to use contactless on. I knew these things had contactless and just had to be enabled. It did say it was an option for Emv and NFC on these on IPS meters’ website. As usual the EMV part doesn’t work yet but parking cards do use the chip, I’m sure this like a lot of stuff is stuck in certification.

Edit: https://www.sfmta.com/getting-around...ers/paybyphone

Found it. Look at the NFC section.
Attached Images  

Last edited by RedLight2015; May 20, 2018 at 7:05 pm
Old May 20, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Yes they labeled contactless as Apple Pay...sorry MikesYr18 . ....
It's just stupid. Apple Pay isn't the only form of contactless payment in the world, even in the USA. Yet, the terminal programmers explicitly put "Apple Pay" on the screen... Because obviously Google Pay and Samsung Pay do not exist.

The term contactless would cover all three and make more sense. Seriously, if someone is too stupid to figure out that Apple Pay is a form of contactless, perhaps they shouldn't' have a bank account in the first place. It's like a merchant putting only a Visa sticker on the window even though they take MasterCard, Discover, and AMEX.
Old May 20, 2018, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I was reading an article I have to find somewhere about how SFs NFC enabled parking meters will be the largest NFC tap to pay installation of any type in the world.

Yes they labeled contactless as Apple Pay...sorry MikesYr18 . The plus side. Its another thing to use contactless on. I knew these things had contactless and just had to be enabled. It did say it was an option for Emv and NFC on these on IPS meters website. As usual the EMV part doesnt work yet but parking cards do use the chip, Im sure this like a lot of stuff is stuck in certification.

They got NFC support back in 2011 though those may be a different model than the picture posted.

Speaking of which, San Diego uses the same model but I'm pretty sure they didn't shell out the extra money to enable the NFC portion. On the other hand, there is a small subset of meters there (near Seaport Village) that support AmEx.

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
It's like a merchant putting only a Visa sticker on the window even though they take MasterCard, Discover, and AMEX.
This actually happens pretty often in Mexico, except that if there's no AmEx sticker it's a pretty good bet that they don't accept it
Old May 20, 2018, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
They got NFC support back in 2011 though those may be a different model than the picture posted.

Speaking of which, San Diego uses the same model but I'm pretty sure they didn't shell out the extra money to enable the NFC portion. On the other hand, there is a small subset of meters there (near Seaport Village) that support AmEx.

This actually happens pretty often in Mexico, except that if there's no AmEx sticker it's a pretty good bet that they don't accept it
They're the same model here in Phoenix as well, but all the City of Phoenix does is make you use their stupid ParkMobile app, again, with the apps cluttering my phone all for the sole purpose of paying for something.

That being said, the article in 2011 doesn't look like it was for contactless, rather, like the city of Phoenix, a payment app. These IPS meters actually have contactless in them which is only a good thing.

Though something tells me that Phoenix, and San Diego probably didn't shell out the extra $100 or so per meter to have the ones with contactless built in. They all do have EMV at least, so there is a little hope for that. Very little, as parking meters even in the UK and Canada don't take EMV, a lot are still magstripe!
Old May 20, 2018, 7:49 pm

It's just stupid. Apple Pay isn't the only form of contactless payment in the world, even in the USA. Yet, the terminal programmers explicitly put "Apple Pay" on the screen... Because obviously Google Pay and Samsung Pay do not exist.
Last year, 90% of mobile transactions were ApplePay. The remaining 10% know that if they see ApplePay, they know that the others will likely also work.
Old May 20, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
I was reading an article I have to find somewhere about how SF’s NFC enabled parking meters will be the largest NFC tap to pay installation of any type in the world.

Yes they labeled contactless as Apple Pay...sorry MikesYr18 . The plus side. It’s another thing to use contactless on. I knew these things had contactless and just had to be enabled. It did say it was an option for Emv and NFC on these on IPS meters’ website. As usual the EMV part doesn’t work yet but parking cards do use the chip, I’m sure this like a lot of stuff is stuck in certification.

Did you actually use contactless on it? Up until now, the only 'NFC' thing about the meters were the NFC tags that the PayByPhone app can read to identify the location.

The multi-space meters in SF do accept tap with dedicated readers.
Old May 20, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by pdxer
Last year, 90% of mobile transactions were ApplePay. The remaining 10% know that if they see ApplePay, they know that the others will likely also work.
The article's source comes from one of Apple's VP's, who most likely don't know the real statistics. Do they really receive data from another company's mobile wallet usage? Probably not. I have a feeling Samsung Pay is used more often than Apple Pay is in the states because it has MST. Overall, mobile wallet payments in the states is abysmal, but our society tends to resist joining the 21st century, with exception to the latest and greatest smartphone (without using mobile wallet).

Folks who carry a U.S Bank Altitude Reserve card (at least if they're smart), will open up their opportunities by using Samsung Pay to get their bonus points.
Old May 20, 2018, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by D582
Did you actually use contactless on it? Up until now, the only 'NFC' thing about the meters were the NFC tags that the PayByPhone app can read to identify the location.

The multi-space meters in SF do accept tap with dedicated readers.
Yes, my girlfriend is over there right now, you press the OK button, and then a contactless symbol comes up on the screen, then she tapped the phone and it paid. The screen even specifically mentions Apple Pay.

This is different than the PayByPhone option which uses an app.
Old May 20, 2018, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Though something tells me that Phoenix, and San Diego probably didn't shell out the extra $100 or so per meter to have the ones with contactless built in. They all do have EMV at least, so there is a little hope for that. Very little, as parking meters even in the UK and Canada don't take EMV, a lot are still magstripe!
Per this spec document it sounds like the "smart card" functionality is something completely different than credit/debit card acceptance. On the other hand, they do link to a Visa EMV PDF somewhere on their website.

Do they really receive data from another company's mobile wallet usage?
They collaborated pretty closely with the major networks before coming out with Apple Pay, so it's not completely out of the question that they'd get enough such data to be able to claim such.
Old May 20, 2018, 10:18 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Yes, my girlfriend is over there right now, you press the OK button, and then a contactless symbol comes up on the screen, then she tapped the phone and it paid. The screen even specifically mentions Apple Pay.

This is different than the PayByPhone option which uses an app.
Oh cool then. That must be very recent development, and not sure if it is citywide yet. It's hard to check on Sundays as most meters are free parking and don't accept payment today.

Also, the SF meters do now accept AMEX (wasn't the case a few months ago), even though there is no sticker on it.
Old May 21, 2018, 8:39 am

So my local Taco Bell finally upgraded the ancient IBM registers to brand new PAR with the same hardware as McD's new registers but the same old slow software without chip or nfc. https://imgur.com/YY8jbxy This probably means that TB is getting closer to rolling out chip+contactless soon. Hoping that they rollout contactless too.
Does anyone know if Smashburger and Noodles And Company use NCR Aloha and if they do then they are chip+contactless merchants. I know for sure that they use NCR for sure as the payment screens shows.
Old May 21, 2018, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scibot
So my local Taco Bell finally upgraded the ancient IBM registers to brand new PAR with the same hardware as McD's new registers but the same old slow software without chip or nfc. https://imgur.com/YY8jbxy This probably means that TB is getting closer to rolling out chip+contactless soon. Hoping that they rollout contactless too.
Does anyone know if Smashburger and Noodles And Company use NCR Aloha and if they do then they are chip+contactless merchants. I know for sure that they use NCR for sure as the payment screens shows.
Smashburger definitely uses NCR. I forget about Noodles and Company.
Old May 21, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
The article's source comes from one of Apple's VP's, who most likely don't know the real statistics. Do they really receive data from another company's mobile wallet usage? Probably not. I have a feeling Samsung Pay is used more often than Apple Pay is in the states because it has MST. Overall, mobile wallet payments in the states is abysmal, but our society tends to resist joining the 21st century, with exception to the latest and greatest smartphone (without using mobile wallet).

Folks who carry a U.S Bank Altitude Reserve card (at least if they're smart), will open up their opportunities by using Samsung Pay to get their bonus points.
I doubt that Samsung pay is used more often. When I try to use it everybody usually says "Oh, Apple Pay doesn't work here". And I reply: "This is Samsung Pay, that's why it will work here". But mostly people don't even know that Samsung pay exist at all.
I don't even carry my AR card with me, it's in Samsung and Google Pay apps.
Old May 21, 2018, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Apple Pay is strongly dominant, MST or no. With Samsung Pay, I rarely use physical cards outside restaurants.
Old May 21, 2018, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Smashburger definitely uses NCR. I forget about Noodles and Company.
Noodles & Company is NCR as well and they use the same NCR pos hardware as those NCR BK's but with MX915's.
Oh and Culver's said "It's something that's on our radar for the future. Stay tuned!" so you should start seeing pinpads at Culver's soon hopefully everything is enabled on them as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.