FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)
Old May 20, 2018, 7:23 pm
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
I was reading an article I have to find somewhere about how SF’s NFC enabled parking meters will be the largest NFC tap to pay installation of any type in the world.

Yes they labeled contactless as Apple Pay...sorry MikesYr18 . The plus side. It’s another thing to use contactless on. I knew these things had contactless and just had to be enabled. It did say it was an option for Emv and NFC on these on IPS meters’ website. As usual the EMV part doesn’t work yet but parking cards do use the chip, I’m sure this like a lot of stuff is stuck in certification.

Edit: https://www.sfmta.com/getting-around...ers/paybyphone

Found it. Look at the NFC section.
They got NFC support back in 2011 though those may be a different model than the picture posted.

Speaking of which, San Diego uses the same model but I'm pretty sure they didn't shell out the extra money to enable the NFC portion. On the other hand, there is a small subset of meters there (near Seaport Village) that support AmEx.

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
It's like a merchant putting only a Visa sticker on the window even though they take MasterCard, Discover, and AMEX.
This actually happens pretty often in Mexico, except that if there's no AmEx sticker it's a pretty good bet that they don't accept it