FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flying Emirates with pilot shortages worsening this summer
Old May 20, 2018, 1:10 pm
yvrcnx

Programs: AC MM
Flying Emirates with pilot shortages worsening this summer

I am traveling to Mauritius and South Africa this summer and was about to book our flights in Business class with Emirates this weekend but after reading a few threads on different boards about the pilot shortages EK is facing, I am having second thoughts and wonder how those of you who frequently fly EK and through DXB view this situation.

Besides the safety issue which might or might not be "real" there could also be issues with last minute cancelled or changed flights.
One of the reasons I wanted to fly EK is because I never have and have been told to definitely choose EK's A380 service over another airline.
The other airline option currently being Turkish on the A330-300 to MRU which of course is not as 'flashy' as the A380 with the on-board bar and better seats, however it here is a change in aircraft by EK, I might end up on the 777 2-3-2 configuration anyway which is probably similar to TK's 2 - 2 - 2 on the A330.

Reading aviation forums about this issue, including pilot's comments, it sounds like it's getting very serious but I always like to take comments with a grain of salt since EK has 100's of flights daily and personally can't imagine a complete melt down but again, I am not in the UAE and don't know if the actual sittuation actually is as dire as portrait by almost everyone.

Would love to hear from those who fly frequently on EK and how they view this whole issue and does it affect your choice of airline in your future travel plans.