Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Flying Emirates with pilot shortages worsening this summer

Old May 20, 2018, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC MM

I am traveling to Mauritius and South Africa this summer and was about to book our flights in Business class with Emirates this weekend but after reading a few threads on different boards about the pilot shortages EK is facing, I am having second thoughts and wonder how those of you who frequently fly EK and through DXB view this situation.

Besides the safety issue which might or might not be "real" there could also be issues with last minute cancelled or changed flights.
One of the reasons I wanted to fly EK is because I never have and have been told to definitely choose EK's A380 service over another airline.
The other airline option currently being Turkish on the A330-300 to MRU which of course is not as 'flashy' as the A380 with the on-board bar and better seats, however it here is a change in aircraft by EK, I might end up on the 777 2-3-2 configuration anyway which is probably similar to TK's 2 - 2 - 2 on the A330.

Reading aviation forums about this issue, including pilot's comments, it sounds like it's getting very serious but I always like to take comments with a grain of salt since EK has 100's of flights daily and personally can't imagine a complete melt down but again, I am not in the UAE and don't know if the actual sittuation actually is as dire as portrait by almost everyone.

Would love to hear from those who fly frequently on EK and how they view this whole issue and does it affect your choice of airline in your future travel plans.
Old May 20, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
I wouldn't worry
Old May 20, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
I'm not tuned into the EK situation specifically, but when I hear "pilot shortage" my concern is flight delay and cancellation, not safety.
Old May 20, 2018, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gig103
I'm not tuned into the EK situation specifically, but when I hear "pilot shortage" my concern is flight delay and cancellation, not safety.
The reason I mentioned safety is because as of July 1, 2018, Emirates is reducing the pilot staffing on select ultra longhaul flights from four pilots to three pilots.

There have been lots of discussions, including by pilots about this reduction since other airlines' rule is to have at least 4 for flights over 12 hours.
I am an airline enthusiast but honestly know very little about the 'real' situation as well as pros and cons of this cut and I can only go by what others, including those flying aircraft, are saying about this. From what I have read, pilots at EK seem to already fly longer hours than pilots from other airlines and are concerned about fatigue issues.
Old May 20, 2018, 5:10 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
If you read enough of pprune you would never want to fly again!
Old May 20, 2018, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sydtogla
If you read enough of pprune you would never want to fly again!
Good point sydtogla, have to agree on that one with you.
Old May 21, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
Frequently fly EK J to Mauritius. Last trip we considered flying Turkish J as it was much cheaper but in the end opted to stay with EK.
Later that month TK cancelled a flight to Mauritius.

Don't even consider Air Mauritius (MK)
They are always cancelling flights due to the ongoing disputes with air crew, cabin crew and tech problems with aircraft.

They have a chronic shortage of pilots.
yvrcnx likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 1:01 pm

Although the pilot shortage has mainly manifested in regional flight cancellations in the U.S., the largest Persian Gulf carrier, Emirates, is reportedly ready to park 18 percent of its fleet. Airline Geeks says Emirates will also reduce pilot staffing on long-haul flights and that its deployment of pilots might be part of the reason its having trouble attracting them. The website says the airline will idle 36 Boeing 777s and 10 A380s by July and its cut the frequency of flights to some destinations and eliminated flights to others.

The site reports Emirates pilots are well paid but Chinese airlines are offering signing bonuses of up to $300,000 and allowing pilots to commute to work from anywhere in the world. Working conditions at Emirates are also part of the problem. Emirates pilots work 90 hours a month and the crew rest requirements of its aviation regulators in the United Arab Emirates are more lax than in most countries. That means the airline will be able to start staffing 12-hour and longer flights with three pilots instead of four. Plans are to operate three-pilot crews to Rio de Janeiro, Boston, Sydney, Sao Paulo, New York and Melbourne starting July 1. Pilots also reportedly dont like the work schedule. Most flights leave between midnight and 4 a.m., meaning their circadian rhythms are frequently out of whack.
777cpt likes this.

Last edited by Jeff767; May 22, 2018 at 1:08 pm
Old May 22, 2018, 1:13 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Jeff767
Although the pilot shortage has mainly manifested in regional flight cancellations in the U.S., the largest Persian Gulf carrier, Emirates, is reportedly ready to park 18 percent of its fleet. Airline Geeks says Emirates will also reduce pilot staffing on long-haul flights and that its deployment of pilots might be part of the reason its having trouble attracting them. The website says the airline will idle 36 Boeing 777s and 10 A380s by July and its cut the frequency of flights to some destinations and eliminated flights to others.

The site reports Emirates pilots are well paid but Chinese airlines are offering signing bonuses of up to $300,000 and allowing pilots to commute to work from anywhere in the world. Working conditions at Emirates are also part of the problem. Emirates pilots work 90 hours a month and the crew rest requirements of its aviation regulators in the United Arab Emirates are more lax than in most countries. That means the airline will be able to start staffing 12-hour and longer flights with three pilots instead of four. Plans are to operate three-pilot crews to Rio de Janeiro, Boston, Sydney, Sao Paulo, New York and Melbourne starting July 1. Pilots also reportedly dont like the work schedule. Most flights leave between midnight and 4 a.m., meaning their circadian rhythms are frequently out of whack.

You've just cut and pasted that from here :-

https://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/new...-230849-1.html

skywardhunter likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 1:20 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
You've just cut and pasted that from here :-

https://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/new...-230849-1.html
And also, that's just quoting from another AVGeeks website :-

"But as April came to a close, that began to take a turn. Various media outlets began to report the airline would begin parking planes at Dubai World Central Airport, including 36 777s and 10 A380s over the course of three months. That, in total, represents 18 percent of the Emirates fleet and a huge setback for the airline."

There will be 46 parked, but not all at the same time from what I can see. Some are in for maintenance, and will return. The chart previously quoted showed a maximum of 20 parked concurrently - but I'm not sure if that is still up to date.
skywardhunter and Metanoia like this.
Old May 22, 2018, 4:43 pm

What they need to do is look at the overlapping routes with FlyDubai and cancel the EK flights and shift those pilots to where FD doesn’t operate to to try and minimize the impact.
Old May 24, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
The J class on Emirates A380 is a great product but I had the misfortune on one leg to end up with the 777 in 2-3-2 and would do my level best to avoid it again.
Old May 24, 2018, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by amnicoll
The J class on Emirates A380 is a great product but I had the misfortune on one leg to end up with the 777 in 2-3-2 and would do my level best to avoid it again.
Related to pilot shortages how?
Old May 24, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Related to pilot shortages how?
Shortage of pilots rated on the A380?
Old May 24, 2018, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by XXTSGR

Shortage of pilots rated on the A380?
EK ist actually short of 77W pilots, there've been no reports of A380 pilot shortage.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.