FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA's Micronesia Island Hopper - consolidated questions, advice, ....
Old May 19, 2018, 6:37 pm
Pseudo Nim

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by PaxALotl
I think I might have found a way to cruise the hopper on my biz trip to Manila, without breaking the bank. I almost always for for the DEN to NRT leg at the start of any trip to Asia, since that's really the only decent way to go when you're based out of DEN.

So, typically getting on that route both ways will make just about any ticket to Asia at least $1200, since it's such a popular route. From time to time there are good deals for <$1000 but $1200 is my basic budget for a 'good' flight to Asia.

I somehow found a trip that goes DEN-HNL-GUM (on the hopper) then takes that nice NRT route home, and it came in at $1430. Just a couple hundred more which won't be a problem, and a decent itinerary considering the fact I'm squeezing in the hopper for really no reason at all except that I want to check it out.

Here's the Google Flights link.

Yes, there is that $500 fee for the hopper in the fare, but for some reason I am compelled to go for this trip. I was also considering a mileage run if I wasn't going to make SA Gold this year, and this will take care of that for the not-so-impressive price of .08 CPM!

I'm gonna think about this one for 24 hours then book.
Don't even think about it and just do it. One of my biggest regrets was a few years ago when it came down to this: I could either fly NRT-HNL, HNL-LAX, LAX-NRT on JL (and qualify for AA EXP) or do NRT-GUM-HNL on the hopper, HNL-LAX, LAX-NRT (or the other way around, whatever). I chose to go for EXP and somewhat longingly regretted it ever since (obviously, EXP, even being the comparatively lame status that it is, was still likely a smarter choice in the circumstances, but "it's the things we don't do that we regret more than the things we do"). I was very happy to get an opportunity to do a mileage run last month on the hopper - I stumbled upon an incredible fare that I spent no time munching about on, and even though I ended up with a business trip right before that (I did something like NRT-LAX-JFK-MIA-SCL-MIA-SFO-JFK-NRT, overnight, then back to North America, then on the hopper to NRT, etc - I was literally in a plane for like a couple of weeks), I have no regrets.

The point I'm trying to make is if you a) have the time and b) found the right fare to do it, then JUST DO IT. Before they pull the fare.