FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AC to cover Michigan man’s flight to meet NFLD girlfriend after Twitter campaign
Old May 12, 2018, 8:55 am
Jazzed91

Programs: FOTSG
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
We can agree this PR campaign missed the mark, but I'm wondering what is gained by an unsolicited and probably creepy-invasive "deep dive" into this man's information, which has yielded all sorts of judgmental statements. I'm sure I and half the people reading this have contentious (to some) spending habits and haircuts; are we also to expect some level of sanctimonious analysis and advice?

My guess is that this man's successful Twitter campaign is more enthusiastically panned by those who didn't think of it first.
If you put yourself out in public on social media, you can’t fault the public for taking a look.

In some of his most recent Twitter posts, prior to the free flight campaign, he is very open and honest about how he barely can afford to live his day-to-day life, let alone buy a ticket to Newfoundland to visit a girl he’s never met in person.

In regards to everyone’s spending habits, that’s absolutely everyone’s own personal business. But when you start making appeals to strangers for monetary donations to help you live and then turn around and spend money on non-essentials? There is clearly some sort of disconnect. And please don’t interpret that as me saying it in a judgy pretensions way, I don’t mean it like that at all.

The young man is only 19; he’s going to make mistakes in life (I was 19 not too long ago, like we all were). But regardless of age, we all have to make decisions to change our circumstances. And those decisions should be made and acted upon first, before involving a bunch of us total strangers.