Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC to cover Michigan man’s flight to meet NFLD girlfriend after Twitter campaign

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC to cover Michigan man’s flight to meet NFLD girlfriend after Twitter campaign

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2018, 6:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC

Source: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...-newfoundland/

"Love will be in the air next week, when a young man from Michigan flies to meet his Newfoundland girlfriend after a successful Twitter campaign to get Air Canada to cover his flight.Air Canada tweeted today to congratulate C.J. Poirier, saying the airline will fly Poirier to Newfoundland next Monday, to meet his Corner Brook girlfriend, Becca Warren.Last week, Poirier tweeted to ask Air Canada how many retweets he would need for a free flight. Air Canada responded with 530,000 — the number of people in Newfoundland and Labrador...."
Old May 11, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Source: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...-newfoundland/

"Love will be in the air next week, when a young man from Michigan flies to meet his Newfoundland girlfriend after a successful Twitter campaign to get Air Canada to cover his flight.Air Canada tweeted today to congratulate C.J. Poirier, saying the airline will fly Poirier to Newfoundland next Monday, to meet his Corner Brook girlfriend, Becca Warren.Last week, Poirier tweeted to ask Air Canada how many retweets he would need for a free flight. Air Canada responded with 530,000 — the number of people in Newfoundland and Labrador...."
Pretty cool - the retweets
Old May 11, 2018, 6:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by vernonc
Pretty cool - the retweets
I figure it was a story worth sharing after all of my unintentional negativity towards Air Canada lately on FlyerTalk.
jc94 likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
<div style="text-align:left;">
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
I figure it was a story worth sharing after all of my unintentional negativity towards Air Canada lately on FlyerTalk.
<br /><br />Awww. Good PR for AC. I bet he’s flying Y Lets hope it doesn’t hit IRROPs!</div>
Old May 11, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: FOTSG
To be honest, I thought that campaign was one of the more foolish things I’ve seen. Shortly after I saw his early appeals on Twitter (it had fewer than 500 retweets at the time), I did a deep dive into his social media profiles. It became apparent to me very quickly that the young man doesn’t have much restraint over his spending habits.

In one picture he appeared to be wearing some sort of Pokémon onesie... His hair colour and style changed several times this calendar year alone... And he spends an awful lot of time talking about video games and seems to own some fancy equipment/accessories to support the playing of said games.

All in all, it looked like he has made a series of less-than-wise decisions in several different respects. It really seems like he’s living in some sort of fantasy world where he thinks his troubles can just be magically fixed.

After my deep dive into his social media, I feel the best thing this young man could receive would be advice from a financial professional. That would be far better for him than any free trip to YDF ever could be. After all, if you give a man a fish...
Queen B likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 8:48 pm

Programs: AC*SE 1MM
Not everybody thinks it's a feel-good story.

https://www.thestar.com/entertainmen...epartment.html
Clipper801 likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Steverino

Wow, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Is this columnist on FT? He'd fit right in.
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 9:06 pm

So he got nowhere near the target and still got the free flight? Man, they're really desperate for the PR..
Old May 11, 2018, 9:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

This says that he has never even met the "girlfriend." Maybe she's an internet scam or catfish.

Also, a 19 year old school dropout with no real job crossing a border to hook up with a girlfriend could raise red flags at immigration, even if he doesn't have a DWI. If he were trying to enter the USA under these circumstances, it's not obvious that he would be admitted. We can only assume that he'll tell the truth about going to the "girlfriend," which would be difficult to avoid now given the publicity he's getting.

BTW, the article keeps talking about paying for "his flight." I hope they mean plural rather than singular as a one way ticket would be even more problematic. OTOH, maybe Canada can keep him and the newly acquainted couple can live happily ever after north of the border.
Old May 11, 2018, 9:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This says that he has never even met the "girlfriend." Maybe she's an internet scam or catfish.
If I'm not mistaken in Newfoundland it'd be kissing the cod rather than the catfish.
Old May 11, 2018, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Jazzed91
To be honest, I thought that campaign was one of the more foolish things I’ve seen. Shortly after I saw his early appeals on Twitter (it had fewer than 500 retweets at the time), I did a deep dive into his social media profiles. It became apparent to me very quickly that the young man doesn’t have much restraint over his spending habits.

In one picture he appeared to be wearing some sort of Pokémon onesie... His hair colour and style changed several times this calendar year alone... And he spends an awful lot of time talking about video games and seems to own some fancy equipment/accessories to support the playing of said games.

All in all, it looked like he has made a series of less-than-wise decisions in several different respects. It really seems like he’s living in some sort of fantasy world where he thinks his troubles can just be magically fixed.

After my deep dive into his social media, I feel the best thing this young man could receive would be advice from a financial professional. That would be far better for him than any free trip to YDF ever could be. After all, if you give a man a fish...
So are you saying he's another entitled millennial who has been enabled yet again?
Queen B and jc94 like this.
Old May 11, 2018, 10:40 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Thumbs up

What a great article!
Clipper801 likes this.
Old May 12, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: FOTSG
Originally Posted by yyznomad
So are you saying he's another entitled millennial who has been enabled yet again?
As a millennial myself, I feel like I am especially qualified to say: DEFINITELY!

Now who wants to give me a free flight?
Dolphin2 and Queen B like this.
Old May 12, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Pretty stupid if you ask me. Ever since the stupid nugget man...
​​​​​​
Old May 12, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by Jazzed91
To be honest, I thought that campaign was one of the more foolish things I’ve seen. Shortly after I saw his early appeals on Twitter...I did a deep dive into his social media profiles.

After my deep dive into his social media, I feel the best thing this young man could receive would be...
We can agree this PR campaign missed the mark, but I'm wondering what is gained by an unsolicited and probably creepy-invasive "deep dive" into this man's information, which has yielded all sorts of judgmental statements. I'm sure I and half the people reading this have contentious (to some) spending habits and haircuts; are we also to expect some level of sanctimonious analysis and advice?

My guess is that this man's successful Twitter campaign is more enthusiastically panned by those who didn't think of it first.
wsommerv and Dolphin2 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.