FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AC faces new competition from WestJet's new lie-flat 787 business class
Old May 10, 2018, 8:32 pm
ridefar

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Clipper801
If WS deploys the 787 from PEK to YYC for example, one flies in J to YYC and will be happy to be put in PLUS for the onward connecting flight, e.g. to YYZ and YUL?

WS had an opportunity to install proper North American standard J seats in its brand new 7M8 but chose not to do so.
AC had a chance to actually buy real planes instead of the flying horror show 7M8. They chose not to do so. Or put another way, they had a chance to install an actual cabin with actual washrooms instead of the god awful disaster that they chose. They not to do so. They chose a crap product and profit over their customers. Lets not delude ourselves, there is no other equation at work. Let me say it again: AC made exactly the same awful choice that you say WS did. Exactly the same one.

And if one flies AC to Europe, it is a total crap shoot if one gets a "J" seat (exactly equal to WS +) if your final destination isn't one that AC serves. You may very well be seated in economy (the dreaded "mixed cabin" bs). So lets not pretend that AC is a whole lot better here. If I was to fly WS to PEK or HKG and have to fly E+ or E onward, that is likely no better or worse than I would do on AC. If I wanted to ask: "how will AC react?" I would hope that part of their response would be to: a) sell me a seat that doesn't have a 10% chance of deflating (I like sleep, I don't like Russian roulette); and b) if they sell me a J ticket, make it a J ticket, not a mixed cabin ticket. That would be a positive start. Then maybe they can worry about how to make interline checkin actually work from their app (or the partner airline's app), things like not taking 2 1/2 hours to serve dinner, etc. I like AC, generally, I do. But lets not pretend they are so awesome that WS doesn't have a chance. Because that is just pure nonsense. If WS does this even half right, and refrains from making any big, deal breaking mistakes, AC should be concerned.