FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA's Micronesia Island Hopper - consolidated questions, advice, ....
Old May 10, 2018, 2:43 pm
findark
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by tonykline1947
Do RPUs ever clear in advance for GUM-MAJ segments? I travel in late Aug. I assume i need to burn only one RPU.
Yes, although you will also be CPU eligible. GUM-TKK and KWA-MAJ-HNL are the more heavily booked segments, but the interior TKK-PNI-KSA-KWA sometimes fly with empty seats up front. When I flew the Hopper, we (2 pax) were 11/12 on GPUs clearing, with 7 cleared before we started in GUM, 1 at the gate in GUM (GUM-TKK), and one each at the gate for TKK-PNI and MAJ-HNL.

It should only be one RPU from GUM to MAJ, but if you've managed to get the blessing of split segments, every time you mess with that PNR is an invitation for disaster, so be delicate! I applied the GPU before splitting, since I was riding it all the way from NRT to SFO across 3 days.

Originally Posted by tonykline1947
Do I need to worry about scanning boarding passes at TKK etc. since technically its a connection, not a stop? Do take a risk of having my itinerary cancelled midway if I do not scan the BP at TKK?
No. The Hopper is a special case and I'm not even sure they have scanners at all the stops. We scanned GUM-TKK and nothing else, despite being in the boarding queue at the stops.