FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August
Old May 7, 2018, 10:02 am
DownUnderFlyer
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by username
To me, part of the problem was the initial over-generous match to SPG's favor without thinking through the implications with the merged program - especially on the LT front.
I disagree with this assessment, in particular for SPG members outside the Unites States. The efforts one has to go through to get 50 nights in Starwood is much greater than achieving 50 nights with MR. There are just so much more opportunities to get Marriott nights compared to Starwood. So a Starwood person had to either a) endure really long drives (I often stayed up to 100 miles from my destination as this was the closest Starwood hotel) or b) give a lot more nights to other hotels as there was no Starwood option. Ironically Marriott was one of the three chains I gave those extra nights to. The majority however went to hotels which are not part of any big chain. Now with the combined program more of those nights will go to Marriott.

Last edited by DownUnderFlyer; May 7, 2018 at 10:13 am Reason: tpyo