FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Big Island in December - Questions and Recommendations
Old May 5, 2018, 10:40 am
Arthurrs

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by OliverB
Is Brown's Beach House comparable to Canoehouse? I generally tend to avoid hotel restaurants but it does look like one of the better choices around. What about Hualalai Grille at the FS? Holuakoa Gardens and Cafe?
It's really a shame about Canoehouse as that definitely seemed like the best food on the island. I hope the chefs and kitchen staff are able to relocate and get in a similar groove. Most of the nicer places I'm finding around Waimea and Kailua-Kona really do look like they cater to a tourist driven market. I've yet to find anything that seems special. Maybe we'll just go back to Merrimens a few times if that ends up being the bets there is!
Having been to both, I'd put Canoehouse on equal standing with Brown's Beach House. They both serve great food, and the views are amazing at sunset. Be sure to make a reservation in advance to get a front row seat. Right next to Brown's Beach House is Hale Kai Restaurant, a more relaxed, casual restaurant, the prices there are a bit cheaper, and if you get there early enough, a table with a wonderful view of the ocean.

Merrimans in Waimea was all around a fantastic experience, the food was done perfectly, very attentive staff, and I took home a 1lb bag of Harens coffee beans that they had for sale (a fantastic coffee that they serve there). I'd rate it higher than Canoehouse and Brown's beach house for the food, but unfortunately you don't get to enjoy some amazing sunset views.

If you're going down to Four Seasons, then definitely go to Residents' Beach House. It used to be exclusive for local residents in the community, but they have since opened it up to the public. Reservations are definitely necessary for this restaurant.