FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Day Trip to Tijuana - San Ysidro Border Crossing
Old Apr 21, 2018, 2:27 am
stimpy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by darwin503
As a local, I would recommend avoiding TJ. It has been years since it was truly safe.
I would have to disagree, based on my visit. And the fact that I know that many American cities like Chicago or LA are vastly more dangerous than TJ. I had a great time, including an interaction with the police. I walked out of a bar with a can of beer in my hand, as I used to do long ago in TJ, and I saw two armed police officers standing in front of a food cart. I figured the police know where the good food is and they indeed did. The shrimp taco I had was so delicious. But one of the officers said "you know it is illegal to have a beer outside of the bar, right? I could give you a ticket". I apologized for my error and tossed the can, which was nearly empty anyways, into the trash. And we continued to enjoy our tacos.

Note that this was early in the evening and I expect that things probably get rowdy after midnight, especially on a weekend. So avoid the busy bar areas after midnight and you should be very safe. Or safer than most US cities anyways.