FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New UA Destinations coming soon Rumors
View Single Post
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:25 pm
EmailKid
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by williambruno1975
what’s this obsession with BKK ?
There was a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG multi page thread when UA dropped BKK, and the discussion was quite heated. I'm sure many regular posters still remember it.

Originally Posted by Darlox

It's still a major market (I personally am there 2-4 times per year), and while everything you say is true, its location and the relationship UA has with its *A partners makes it _intensely_ annoying to get to. We can just go ahead and write off PEK and PVG -- if you willingly transit there, you deserve what you get.
I too fly to Thailand two to four times a year, and it's a major pain

Originally Posted by goodeats21

BKK is a pretty major destination, and the obsession is the same as everyone else's: To get to the destination in the most comfortable, efficient manner and hopefully use United and our earned benefits.

ANA is not a comfortable option (especially in economy), and it is a 6.5 hour flight. Unfortunately, the JV means this is the route that United wants to funnel people. Using HKG / TPE / SIN, etc means either paying a huge premium (due to plating restrictions/Fare rules) or assuming a lot of risk with booking separate tickets.
Exactly. It was like this before the JV as well IIRC, you simply could not buy a ticket that involved TG without it going to Y bucket and forcing a ridiculous price. And I for one would opt for TG over NH, five star airline

Though I concede that TG is exceptionally poorly run, coming to government for bailouts at regular intervals as well as other problems.