FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is your camera of choice while traveling?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 7:56 am
RSSrsvp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mapleg
I think I spend more time pondering what camera/ lenses to take on a trip that I do thinking about hotels! Not a good sign!

Here's my choices for upcoming trip with Mrs Mapleg to Japan/Singapore/Taiwan. Roughly 2 week trip and in those countries I don't worry about theft of equipment, etc or safety.

Heavy Hitter choice- Canon 6D Mk II with F4 24-105 lens (which I figure will be most used one), plus one wide angle ( 14 MM Samyang 2.8) and one telephoto zoom (probably F4 70-200 plus bring a 1.4 teleconverter, just in case!). Might even bring a 40mm prime for walking around at certain times

Easy on the back choice- Olympus OM D-EM 10 Mk II with Olympus 2.8 7-14 and 12-40 2.8 lenses. For telephoto the kit 40-150 which is very light

What I shoot-lot of urban scenes in Japan, some in airline shots and some landscapes. To be honest, not really sure I need the telephoto in either set up as I notice I don't take a lot of those shots while travelling.

I am no pro, but I really like the quality of the full frame shots and the battery life and I don't need to carry all the gear with me at once other than through airports and to the hotel and can split it up with Mrs Maplegs carry on as well. I don't use a backpack once on the road, just a Lowepro camera sling.

It's not a "trip of a lifetime" thing, but ......

Thoughts?
IMO you have to worry abut theft no matter where you travel. I have the Sun Sniper strap that has wire hidden in the material and resists someone slashing the strap and running off with your camera.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1249655-REG/sun_sniper_ssn_rb_tra_sniper_strap_the_rotaball.ht ml

My vote would be to travel light and go with the m43 kit. Also when overseas I have rarely used the 40-150mm f4.0-5.6 lens so now I leave it at home. My "go to" lens is the 12-40 f2.8 Pro which I find ideal for street scenes and most landscape shots. Also ask yourself how often you are going to use the 7-14 f2.8 Pro lens, perhaps you can leave that at home also and really travel light?