FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LONE4 - Taxes and surcharges
View Single Post
Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:15 am
HOLYMOLEAIR

Programs: QRPC-Plat/OWE, MPC, BAEC
Originally Posted by pbd456
why dont you buy business class which is less than double the economy.

there is really no point to buy LONE fare as a lot of the time, DIY round the world is going to be much cheaper
I am a student unfortunately, that corresponds to a much smaller budget

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi

Also trying with first flight HKG-MEL(on CX) may get a different result, as surcharges cannot be charged in Hong Kong. (CX issued ticket)

The other charges are real government/regulatory taxes which cannot be avoided. Can change with airport/county but for most not a lot, except for the UK APD.

The large 11,960 JPY UK Air Passenger Duty can be avoided by not flying from UK**, so take the new train London-Amsterdam.
**Note Some UK airports are APD exempt. Fly from a UK city that does not charge ADP, like Inverness. Even if on an airline that is not OW
point taken, would try JAL on the first segment. the reason why I chose London is because I'm studying there, and this ticket could bring me from home to UK and back.

Originally Posted by R2
AFAIK if your first flight is HKG-MEL on CX you would be charged the HK LONE/DONE base fare, which at least for DONE is significantly higher than that of Japan.

Also, CX does charge a fuel surcharge for itineraries starting outside HK (although not sure about Japan as it is another jurisdiction where fuel surcharge is government regulated.)
Thats why I chose Japan as my starting point, which carrier do you think will minimize these charges or it doesn't affect much?