LONE4 - Taxes and surcharges

Old Apr 18, 18, 12:07 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: HKG/LON
Programs: QRPC-Gold/Sapphire CXMPC-Silver
Posts: 66
LONE4 - Taxes and surcharges

Hello fellow FTers!

First time posting here, hoping to get some advice on my first LONE4. I've done some reading on the forum and plan to start my ticket in TYO as it seems to be the cheapest in Asia. (I'm based in Hong Kong, and can start in London too fyi) The routing is NRT-MEL-DRW-ADL-BNE-AKL-LAX-ORD-YVR-DFW-IAH-CLT-JFK-LGW-AMS-HKG-HND. The fare is shown as 354600 JPY + 95400 JPY. ($3307+$890) With tax and surcharges being one fourth of the base fare, is there anywhere I can cut down on the taxes by moving/ changing my itinerary (another airport/ another carrier/ choosing a codeshare flight)?

Thanks so much!
Kelvin

with tax breakdown
10,500 JPY Multiple Carrier Surcharges/Fees:
14,940 JPY Airline Insurance Surcharge:
9,300 JPY Multiple Carrier Surcharges/Fees:
2,740 JPY Domestic Head Tax - Australia:
4,020 JPY Australian Passenger Service Charge:
5,000 JPY Australia Passenger Movement Charge:
3,110 JPY Domestic Head Tax - Australia:
1,680 JPY Australia Baggage Screening Tax - Departure:
2,090 JPY Passenger Service Facilities Charge - Japan:
520 JPY Tax description unavailable (OISE):
1,490 JPY Tax description unavailable (F1CA):
1,400 JPY Passenger Security Charge at Auckland Airport (Arrivals):
1,390 JPY Passenger Security Charge at Auckland Airport (Departure):
940 JPY Passenger Security Charge for New Zealand:
1,220 JPY U.S. Customs Fee:
3,920 JPY U.S. International Transportation Tax - Departure:
3,920 JPY International Arrival Transportation Tax (USA):
860 JPY U.S. Animal and Plant Inspection Service Users Fee:
1,500 JPY Immigration and Naturalization Service Fee:
1,200 JPY September 11th Security Fee:
2,210 JPY Canadian Air Travellers Security Charge:
90 JPY Goods and Services Tax for Canada:
1,710 JPY Airport Improvement Fee for Canada:
11,960 JPY UK Air Passenger Duty:
2,150 JPY UK Passenger Service Charge:
810 JPY NL Security Tax:
750 JPY Netherlands Passenger Service Charge:
1,640 JPY Hong Kong Air Passenger Departure Tax:
1,230 JPY Tax description unavailable (G3RE):
620 JPY Tax description unavailable (I5SE):
490 JPY Passenger Facility Charges:
Total: 95,400.00 JPY

1. Tokyo (NRT) - Melbourne (MEL)
Qantas QF80
2. Melbourne (MEL) - Darwin (DRW)
Qantas QF5678
3. Darwin (DRW) - Adelaide (ADL)
Qantas QF5504
4. Adelaide (ADL) - Brisbane (BNE)
Qantas QF660
5. Brisbane (BNE) - Auckland (AKL)
Qantas QF123
6. Auckland (AKL) - Los Angeles (LAX)
American Airlines AA82
7. Los Angeles (LAX) - Chicago (ORD)
American Airlines AA1598
8. Chicago (ORD) - Vancouver (YVR)
American Airlines AA1585
9. Vancouver (YVR) - Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW)
American Airlines AA392
10. Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW) - Houston (IAH)
American Airlines AA22
11. Houston (IAH) - Charlotte (CLT)
American Airlines AA1661
12. Charlotte (CLT) - New York (JFK)
American Airlines AA1186
13. New York (JFK) - London (LGW)
British Airways BA2272
14. London (LGW) - Amsterdam (AMS)
British Airways BA2758
15. Amsterdam (AMS) - Hong Kong (HKG)
Cathay Pacific Airways CX270
16. Hong Kong (HKG) - Tokyo (HND)
Cathay Pacific Airways CX542
HOLYMOLEAIR is offline  
Old Apr 18, 18, 2:16 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Posts: 3,428
why dont you buy business class which is less than double the economy.

there is really no point to buy LONE fare as a lot of the time, DIY round the world is going to be much cheaper
pbd456 is offline  
Old Apr 18, 18, 3:25 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 14,213
HOLYMOLEAIR Welcome to FT

Was this quote from QF or already booked? (QF issued ticket?)
With the first QF NRT-MEL looks like QF is(may be?) charging you:-
  • 10,500 JPY Multiple Carrier Surcharges/Fees:
  • 14,940 JPY Airline Insurance Surcharge:
  • 9,300 JPY Multiple Carrier Surcharges/Fees:
  • 34,740 JPY (US$324) Total
QF like surcharges

If the first flight was NRT-SYD on JAL these surcharges may be different (JL issued ticket)

Also trying with first flight HKG-MEL(on CX) may get a different result, as surcharges cannot be charged in Hong Kong. (CX issued ticket)

The other charges are real government/regulatory taxes which cannot be avoided. Can change with airport/county but for most not a lot, except for the UK APD.

The large 11,960 JPY UK Air Passenger Duty can be avoided by not flying from UK**, so take the new train London-Amsterdam.
**Note Some UK airports are APD exempt. Fly from a UK city that does not charge ADP, like Inverness. Even if on an airline that is not OW

Route NRT-MEL-DRW-ADL-BNE-AKL-LAX-ORD-YVR-DFW-IAH-CLT-JFK-LGW-AMS-HKG-HND

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 18, 18 at 3:33 pm
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Apr 18, 18, 3:58 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 39,946
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
HOLYMOLEAIR Welcome to FT

Was this quote from QF or already booked? (QF issued ticket?)
With the first QF NRT-MEL looks like QF is(may be?) charging you:-
  • 10,500 JPY Multiple Carrier Surcharges/Fees:
  • 14,940 JPY Airline Insurance Surcharge:
  • 9,300 JPY Multiple Carrier Surcharges/Fees:
  • 34,740 JPY (US$324) Total
QF like surcharges
Not really a fair comment - when QF issues ATW tickets there are no surcharges applied on QF sectors
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Apr 18, 18, 11:42 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Posts: 3,428
the surcharge out of UK is not that bad since it is L class, not D class.
pbd456 is offline  
Old Apr 18, 18, 11:48 pm
  #6  
R2
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: AMS
Posts: 673
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Also trying with first flight HKG-MEL(on CX) may get a different result, as surcharges cannot be charged in Hong Kong. (CX issued ticket)
AFAIK if your first flight is HKG-MEL on CX you would be charged the HK LONE/DONE base fare, which at least for DONE is significantly higher than that of Japan.

Also, CX does charge a fuel surcharge for itineraries starting outside HK (although not sure about Japan as it is another jurisdiction where fuel surcharge is government regulated.)
R2 is offline  
Old Apr 19, 18, 5:15 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: HKG/LON
Programs: QRPC-Gold/Sapphire CXMPC-Silver
Posts: 66
Originally Posted by pbd456 View Post
why dont you buy business class which is less than double the economy.

there is really no point to buy LONE fare as a lot of the time, DIY round the world is going to be much cheaper
I am a student unfortunately, that corresponds to a much smaller budget

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post

Also trying with first flight HKG-MEL(on CX) may get a different result, as surcharges cannot be charged in Hong Kong. (CX issued ticket)

The other charges are real government/regulatory taxes which cannot be avoided. Can change with airport/county but for most not a lot, except for the UK APD.

The large 11,960 JPY UK Air Passenger Duty can be avoided by not flying from UK**, so take the new train London-Amsterdam.
**Note Some UK airports are APD exempt. Fly from a UK city that does not charge ADP, like Inverness. Even if on an airline that is not OW
point taken, would try JAL on the first segment. the reason why I chose London is because I'm studying there, and this ticket could bring me from home to UK and back.



Originally Posted by R2 View Post
AFAIK if your first flight is HKG-MEL on CX you would be charged the HK LONE/DONE base fare, which at least for DONE is significantly higher than that of Japan.

Also, CX does charge a fuel surcharge for itineraries starting outside HK (although not sure about Japan as it is another jurisdiction where fuel surcharge is government regulated.)
Thats why I chose Japan as my starting point, which carrier do you think will minimize these charges or it doesn't affect much?
HOLYMOLEAIR is offline  
Old Apr 19, 18, 8:14 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Posts: 3,428
It is not difficult to fly around the world less than 2k USD by doing mileage run deals
pbd456 is offline  
Old Apr 19, 18, 10:12 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: HKG/LON
Programs: QRPC-Gold/Sapphire CXMPC-Silver
Posts: 66
Originally Posted by pbd456 View Post
It is not difficult to fly around the world less than 2k USD by doing mileage run deals
thanks pbd456, will go check the forum on mileage run deals!
HOLYMOLEAIR is offline  
Old Apr 19, 18, 1:04 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Stuck on this planet - mainly in STR and LAX
Posts: 4,541
When checking for friends I often found that combining one way tickets is cheaper than a RTW. Not exactly the same itinary, but you should look for example at Air Asia from/to and inside Asia, Norwegian from/to Europe, Easyjet and Ryanair inside Europe and so on. You can find many of these flights on google.flights.com and their feature which shows you a map and prices to destinations on the map from a certain airport is very helpful.
Thay way you have less flexibility than with a RTW, but many more choices.
Unterwegs is offline  
Old Apr 19, 18, 2:13 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 14,213
Originally Posted by R2 View Post
AFAIK if your first flight is HKG-MEL on CX you would be charged the HK LONE/DONE base fare, which at least for DONE is significantly higher than that of Japan
The total of base fare & surcharges(~issuing airline) that apply is what is important.
Real taxes/regulatory fees are the same for all airlines on the same routes/class of travel.
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Apr 19, 18, 6:52 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: country Western Australia
Programs: QF WP - AA GLD 1MM - CX Grn
Posts: 2,652
As little as the One world airlines are crediting for L class flights, at least you are able to use your "status" to make the trip more comfortable. Both through lounges and seat selection.

And a LONEx will likely re-qualify at the Ruby level and the points (such as they are) never hurt.

Just wandering
Fred
wandering_fred is offline  
Old Apr 20, 18, 2:53 am
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: HKG/LON
Programs: QRPC-Gold/Sapphire CXMPC-Silver
Posts: 66
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
The total of base fare & surcharges(~issuing airline) that apply is what is important.
Real taxes/regulatory fees are the same for all airlines on the same routes/class of travel.
Thanks, I'll bear that in mind.

Originally Posted by wandering_fred View Post
As little as the One world airlines are crediting for L class flights, at least you are able to use your "status" to make the trip more comfortable. Both through lounges and seat selection.

And a LONEx will likely re-qualify at the Ruby level and the points (such as they are) never hurt.

Just wandering
Fred
True, by the time I plan to travel on this itinerary I would have got Sapphire, which is useful.

Originally Posted by Unterwegs View Post
When checking for friends I often found that combining one way tickets is cheaper than a RTW. Not exactly the same itinary, but you should look for example at Air Asia from/to and inside Asia, Norwegian from/to Europe, Easyjet and Ryanair inside Europe and so on. You can find many of these flights on google.flights.com and their feature which shows you a map and prices to destinations on the map from a certain airport is very helpful.
Thay way you have less flexibility than with a RTW, but many more choices.
Thanks, it's just that seems like the business models of most OneWorld carriers aren't encouraging one way travel.
HOLYMOLEAIR is offline  
Old Apr 21, 18, 11:57 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: TPE & RMQ
Programs: CX MPO SL, IHG Spire, Hertz 5*, National Emerald Club
Posts: 4,270
Originally Posted by HOLYMOLEAIR View Post
Hello fellow FTers!

First time posting here, hoping to get some advice on my first LONE4. I've done some reading on the forum and plan to start my ticket in TYO as it seems to be the cheapest in Asia. (I'm based in Hong Kong, and can start in London too fyi) The routing is NRT-MEL-DRW-ADL-BNE-AKL-LAX-ORD-YVR-DFW-IAH-CLT-JFK-LGW-AMS-HKG-HND. The fare is shown as 354600 JPY + 95400 JPY. ($3307+$890) With tax and surcharges being one fourth of the base fare, is there anywhere I can cut down on the taxes by moving/ changing my itinerary (another airport/ another carrier/ choosing a codeshare flight)?

Thanks so much!
Kelvin

with tax breakdown
10,500 JPY Multiple Carrier Surcharges/Fees:
14,940 JPY Airline Insurance Surcharge:
9,300 JPY Multiple Carrier Surcharges/Fees:
2,740 JPY Domestic Head Tax - Australia:
4,020 JPY Australian Passenger Service Charge:
5,000 JPY Australia Passenger Movement Charge:
3,110 JPY Domestic Head Tax - Australia:
1,680 JPY Australia Baggage Screening Tax - Departure:
2,090 JPY Passenger Service Facilities Charge - Japan:
520 JPY Tax description unavailable (OISE):
1,490 JPY Tax description unavailable (F1CA):
1,400 JPY Passenger Security Charge at Auckland Airport (Arrivals):
1,390 JPY Passenger Security Charge at Auckland Airport (Departure):
940 JPY Passenger Security Charge for New Zealand:
1,220 JPY U.S. Customs Fee:
3,920 JPY U.S. International Transportation Tax - Departure:
3,920 JPY International Arrival Transportation Tax (USA):
860 JPY U.S. Animal and Plant Inspection Service Users Fee:
1,500 JPY Immigration and Naturalization Service Fee:
1,200 JPY September 11th Security Fee:
2,210 JPY Canadian Air Travellers Security Charge:
90 JPY Goods and Services Tax for Canada:
1,710 JPY Airport Improvement Fee for Canada:
11,960 JPY UK Air Passenger Duty:
2,150 JPY UK Passenger Service Charge:
810 JPY NL Security Tax:
750 JPY Netherlands Passenger Service Charge:
1,640 JPY Hong Kong Air Passenger Departure Tax:
1,230 JPY Tax description unavailable (G3RE):
620 JPY Tax description unavailable (I5SE):
490 JPY Passenger Facility Charges:
Total: 95,400.00 JPY

1. Tokyo (NRT) - Melbourne (MEL)
Qantas QF80
2. Melbourne (MEL) - Darwin (DRW)
Qantas QF5678
3. Darwin (DRW) - Adelaide (ADL)
Qantas QF5504
4. Adelaide (ADL) - Brisbane (BNE)
Qantas QF660
5. Brisbane (BNE) - Auckland (AKL)
Qantas QF123
6. Auckland (AKL) - Los Angeles (LAX)
American Airlines AA82
7. Los Angeles (LAX) - Chicago (ORD)
American Airlines AA1598
8. Chicago (ORD) - Vancouver (YVR)
American Airlines AA1585
9. Vancouver (YVR) - Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW)
American Airlines AA392
10. Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW) - Houston (IAH)
American Airlines AA22
11. Houston (IAH) - Charlotte (CLT)
American Airlines AA1661
12. Charlotte (CLT) - New York (JFK)
American Airlines AA1186
13. New York (JFK) - London (LGW)
British Airways BA2272
14. London (LGW) - Amsterdam (AMS)
British Airways BA2758
15. Amsterdam (AMS) - Hong Kong (HKG)
Cathay Pacific Airways CX270
16. Hong Kong (HKG) - Tokyo (HND)
Cathay Pacific Airways CX542
I took a look, I believe if you can change the transpacific sector to QF you can save some fuel surcharge. QF code is currently not available on AA's AKL-LAX, but if it were, a hypothetical itinerary below would make total tax and fees only 70440 JPY. I do not know which of these are stopovers and which are transits, so right now I'm assuming they are all stopovers.

Code:
WQNRT/AQF1MAY/CLMEL/AQF/CLDRW/AQF/CLADL/AQF/CLBNE/AQF/CLAKL/AQF/
CLLAX/AAA/CLORD/AAA/CLYVR/AAA/CLDFW/AAA/CLIAH/AAA/CLCLT/AAA/CLJF
K/ABA/CLLGW/ABA/CLAMS/ACX/CLHKG/ACX/CLHND-RW/MJPY«              
PSGR TYPE  ADT                                                  
   FARE BASIS BOOK CODE           FARE TAX/FEES/CHGS  TOTAL     
01 LONE4      L/L/L/L/* JPY     354600    70440      425040 ADT 
02 LONE5      L/L/L/L/* JPY     418800    70440      489240 ADT 
03 LONE6      L/L/L/L/* JPY     485000    70440      555440 ADT 
*01-03*FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS APPLY                                
*01-03*ADV RES/TICKETING REQUIRED                               
*01-03*CONFIRMED RES REQUIRED                                   
*01-03*MIN/MAX STAY REQUIREMENTS APPLY                          
ATTN*SEE OTHER FARES - USE XM QUALIFIER, E.G. WQCTY/ACRCTY-XM   
ATTN*SEE ALL FARES - USE AL QUALIFIER, E.G. WQCTY/ACRCTY-AL     
                                                                
** TOTALS INCLUDE KNOWN TAXES AND FEES **                       
** TOTAL FARE, TAXES AND FEES MAY CHANGE ONCE FLIGHTS ARE       
   CONFIRMED **                                                 
.
ernestnywang is offline  
Old Apr 24, 18, 3:51 am
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: HKG/LON
Programs: QRPC-Gold/Sapphire CXMPC-Silver
Posts: 66
Originally Posted by ernestnywang View Post
I took a look, I believe if you can change the transpacific sector to QF you can save some fuel surcharge. QF code is currently not available on AA's AKL-LAX, but if it were, a hypothetical itinerary below would make total tax and fees only 70440 JPY. I do not know which of these are stopovers and which are transits, so right now I'm assuming they are all stopovers.


Code:
WQNRT/AQF1MAY/CLMEL/AQF/CLDRW/AQF/CLADL/AQF/CLBNE/AQF/CLAKL/AQF/
CLLAX/AAA/CLORD/AAA/CLYVR/AAA/CLDFW/AAA/CLIAH/AAA/CLCLT/AAA/CLJF
K/ABA/CLLGW/ABA/CLAMS/ACX/CLHKG/ACX/CLHND-RW/MJPY«
PSGR TYPE ADT
FARE BASIS BOOK CODE FARE TAX/FEES/CHGS TOTAL
01 LONE4 L/L/L/L/* JPY 354600 70440 425040 ADT
02 LONE5 L/L/L/L/* JPY 418800 70440 489240 ADT
03 LONE6 L/L/L/L/* JPY 485000 70440 555440 ADT
*01-03*FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS APPLY
*01-03*ADV RES/TICKETING REQUIRED
*01-03*CONFIRMED RES REQUIRED
*01-03*MIN/MAX STAY REQUIREMENTS APPLY
ATTN*SEE OTHER FARES - USE XM QUALIFIER, E.G. WQCTY/ACRCTY-XM
ATTN*SEE ALL FARES - USE AL QUALIFIER, E.G. WQCTY/ACRCTY-AL

** TOTALS INCLUDE KNOWN TAXES AND FEES **
** TOTAL FARE, TAXES AND FEES MAY CHANGE ONCE FLIGHTS ARE
CONFIRMED **
.
cheers mate!
ernestnywang likes this.
HOLYMOLEAIR is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread