FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)
Old Apr 18, 2018, 3:05 pm
wylerkip

Programs: AA
Chase UR Booking Data Point (Different earnings calculations for different segments due to low fare):
Booked 11/15 for flights around 3/1. Was paid with a mix of UR points and cash payment through UR, listed "wholesale" language in ticket terms. Total cash price of $428 per person for a transatlantic open jaw that was partially an AA code share on Iberia metal (MCI-DFW, DFW-CDG; FCO-MAD, MAD-ORD, ORD-MCI), with at least some fare information showing prior to flight (I believe we ended up with the tickets booking into fare code "L" if I recall but can't find confirmation on that right now). End results credited as follows:
  1. Distance credit on MCI-DFW (69 EQD, 500 EQM, 345 RDM)
  2. Fare credit on DFW-CDG (151 EQD, 4,948 EQM, 829 RDM)
  3. Distance credit on FCO-MAD (125 EQD, 829 EQM, 622 RDM)
  4. Fare credit on MAD-ORD (151 EQD, 4,203 EQM, 755 RDM)
  5. Distance credit on ORD-MCI (61 EQD, 500 EQM, 303 RDM) - This flight ended up changing by same day standby, doesn't appear to have impacted crediting.
I appealed once by phone to get special fares, was told all should have actually posted as fare based with likely worse results on EQDs. Appealed again by email with asking for fuller explanation of how different segments qualified as fare or distance and how fares were allocated. Initial email indicated agent had never seen split segment crediting like this and would submit a ticket for follow-up. Follow-up response summarized as follows:
  1. Chase rewards points are not posted based on Special Fare chart.
  2. Eligible fare is $1 with eligible international taxes of $300.
  3. Short legs were pro-rated less than $0.40 of fare so they did not meet the "minimum dollar requirement for Fare based posting", therefore those flights defaulted to distance based crediting.
  4. Transatlantic legs were allocated full international taxes so ~$150 fare each.
My current takeaway: Chase bookings generally are not qualifying as special fares. If you want distance based earnings on a super low "fare" amount ticket (possibly generally even if booked through AA) then you should attempt to include the longest possible "domestic" legs on either side of your "international" trip. Would have been nice to get the TA legs as special fare to complete EQD on a challenge for one party but not planning to pursue further at this point unless someone has any contrary experience/advice.