FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What are things you do when you travel that you are surprised others do not do?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:09 am
Kensterfly

Originally Posted by BenA

Once you exceed about a week, it’s time to do laundry rather than to pack more stuff. My wife and I went on an entire three week honeymoon with only a carryon, and it wasn’t a problem at all. If you’re gone for that length of time, it’s likely at least some of your accommodations will be apartment rentals they have laundry facilities (and if not, you should be able to find a laundromat with minimal effort).

And to preempt the next objection, we spent half the trip in Fiji and half in New Zealand - about as far apart at the time as climates could get. Careful layering is the name of the game for flexible packing. And if you don’t get it right, it’s usually easy to buy something extra at your destination - I will cop to buying a souvenir All Blacks jacket to cope with Windy Wellington

If you or someone you travel with is having trouble editing down the clothing selection, I’d recommend ExOfficio’s products. They aren’t cheap, but unlike most travel outfitters many of their pieces are stealthy enough to cover you from daytime travel to nighttime dinner reservations without a problem. Choosing good footwear is important too - for ladies, in particu
lar, limiting to a max of 1-2 packed pairs that are versatile in addition to wearing your bulkiest on the plane is smart.
My bride and I do two week long European River Cruises with a 22 inch carry on and small tote each. And we don't do laundry. Enough Socks and underwear to change every day. Couple pairs of khakis and a few shirts. Accessories for her lets her mix it up for dinner every night. Everyone else on the ship does the same thing. No one notices, or cares, if you are seen wearing the same clothes more than once.

And we've never sailed without our luggage due to the airline losing it.