FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:24 pm
TravelinSperry

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Through Dec 31 you will have your current status, which is SPG Gold, which gives you a status match to Marriott Gold. If Marriott intended SPG Gold to become a new program Plat they would not have announced SPG Gold will become Gold in the new program. Marriott is well aware you have a status match and did not leave this giant loophole open. It is clear that if you are a current SPG Gold you are enjoying a status match and will become a new program Gold based on your qualification level, not your status match.

FWIW, there seems to be an impression that current Marriott Plats did not do butts in beds. While there have been cc nights and rollover nights for a few years, trust me, most of us have done substantial nights in bed. I do think SPGers with more than 750 nights should have been given the higher lifetime status, but there really is not that big a difference between the two levels. It seems more an ego deflator, which might have been unnecessary on Marriott's part, than a real loss of benefits.
It's not an ego deflator... it is twofold (i) one of the primary benefits SPG LTPs like is in-hotel suite upgrades. And we are now behind LTPPs in that pecking order. If it weren't for that, we surely wouldn't be so upset over 25% in bonus points (although surely that's a nice to have), and (ii) those of us who put our butts in beds no less than 750 nights just want to be valued the same as others who did no more than we did. Now I can even see the argument that we should have to do more. Fine, make the SPG LTP requirement, 900 nights. Or 1,000. Something. Some fellow upthread had 1,700 nights! And yet he gets LTP while Marriott's get LTPP? Why would Marriott risk his loyalty? He's going to stay somewhere... a lot. He and others like him should be considered. And I'd say, considered quite highly.