FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers
Old Apr 10, 2018, 8:48 am
MarkOK

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Only one thing is certain: There will be winners and losers, and at least half of you will be mad about the changes. Starriott will spin it as complete awesomeness no matter what.

That is all.

My guess is that Marriott/SPG knows it has an advantage on footprint. I imagine their viewpoint is that they can make elite qualifications more stringent than their competitors. Perhaps that means more nights, a spend threshold, or something else. But my guess is that core benefits at Starriott will require more nights/cash to earn than core benefits elsewhere. I doubt that a 'stay' qualification will remain as it exists in SPG's system and I imagine on the whole SPG elites will have a harder time accepting the changes than Marriott elites. We'll see. As a primarily Hyatt stayer, I don't have a lot to lose in any change to Starriott program -- My popcorn is in the microwave.

For me, to re-evaluate the benefits of Starriot to my program of choice currently, I see only one benefit: Finally, nights at both properties will count towards status.
On the downside, the BIGGEST issue with the rumors and speculation to me is the dynamic points pricing. A HUGE benefit in my eyes to reward programs is the function of points as a buffer between price swings. I can book cash when cash rates are cheap, book points when cash rates are high. A huge benefit to me is having a stash of points on hand in case I get caught needing a hotel somewhere during airline IRROPs when airport hotels may be jacking up cash rates. Every once in a while there is an issue with reward availability, but thus far in my program of choice it has been minor. Having static points redemption level has benefits to both parties in my opinion -- It is a price protection system for my bottom line, but also, it allows the hotel to keep my business as an elite when cash rates are high (even if on points) and thus not let me stray and experience other properties that I may end up liking. Dynamic point redemptions takes a away both some of the fun of rewards programs, and a huge part of the benefits of being in a program.