FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amanresorts Thread 2018
View Single Post
Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:01 pm
Aventine
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Klems
With such unanimous voices, I guess that I have no choice but to surrender .
I'll probably cancel my plan and look for other options, maybe a nice ryokan or independant hotel since other big chain options look rather cookie cutter (honestly judging by the pictures, properties such as the MO, RC, Peninsula etc all kind of look alike) , or even borderline decrepit (Park Hyatt anyone?).

One important thing that I should have mentioned is that despite the service or food that might be lacking at Aman, I was mostly attracted to it because the rooms look absolutely incredible and that is my #1 criteria, for all the intent and purposes of that stay, which is doing nothing and lounging after a long adventure.

@bhrubin thanks again for the insights, and for pointing me to your Amangiri review - looks fab .

@uclabruin82 the area is not a huge deal for me at that point; I'll be at the very end of a nearly 3 weeks trip hiking across Japan so all I want really is a spacious, luxurious, quiet room to unwind in. I'm not really planning on gallivanting around the city, let alone going out at night.

@Aventine I absolutely agree with you, I also don't like switching hotels if I'm staying in the same location. But the Andaz and PG will be when I arrive in Japan before starting my trek, while this is for the very end.

So I'm gonna go finish my planning, and start my Aman Fund right away .
And again I really appreciate you all chiming in .
Since Aman would have been your last stop and you don't care about going out then I would now recommend it. Lounging by the pool cannot be beat in Tokyo for scenery and tranquility. Often, you will be by yourself too. It's an amazing experience to have it ALL for you. Or I would second Hoshinoya for a distinctive experience in Tokyo.