FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Separate ticketing / PNR: AA, oneworld, through baggage & protection issues > 2016
Old Mar 18, 2018, 10:02 pm
no1cub17

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
No, they cannot

2 PNRs cannot be turned into 1

If, by some miracle, you were to be able to get AA to create a single PNR containing an award and paid booking when booking both at same time, then it would entitle through baggage checking

I am not aware of anyone managing to do this , regardless of whether it is potentially feasible in the booking system
I've combined award+revenue tickets into a single PNR multiple times on AA/oneworld

Originally Posted by ceebee100

So you are saying if I have a revenue ticket from IND-ORD and an award ticket from ORD-LHR (two separate PNRs obviously), an AA phone agent can combine them into one so we won’t have to claim bagge in ORD and recheck??
Not quite - if you've already purchased two separate tickets, then no, AA can't (won't) combine them into one PNR. However, they can do this at the time of purchase - it takes some patience and luck to find a phone agent competent enough to do this, but 100% it is possible. Unfortunately you can't (as far as I'm aware) combine two tickets into a single PNR after the fact.

Originally Posted by ceebee100
Some are saying it’s possible and some are saying not. I was told it was not possible to join them into one PNR a while ago, so maybe it’s a case of YMMV. Either way, it’s no big deal for me to go to baggage claim and recheck as we have 3 hrs in ORD anyway.
Again if you've already purchased the tickets, then unfortunately you're SOL. Doesn't hurt to ask though, a sympathetic check-in agent may tag your bags through (but probably won't for fear of angering Dougie). 3 hours would be my bare minimum if doing this at ORD, just sayin. I'd highly consider going standby on an earlier flight if possible.