FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tumi 19 degree vs Rimowa Topas got carry on
Old Mar 17, 2018, 9:00 am
FlyingKansan

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz PC, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by zap7
Hi alpaod,
now after using it for 4 months from your last post, how is the TUMI holding up?
How does the black finish on the aluminium look now?

It would be great if you could share your experience on this after 4 months or even post a picture.

I want to buy the TUMI 19 degree in black alu, it looks so stylish. I think "pure" aluminium with the silver color just sucks and looks cheap. But after reading about the topas stealth, I am afraid I might regret my decision - some claim after a few weeks of use the black coating would be damaged so much it just looks cheap, ugly and broken, that you could repair dents but not scratches to the coating, and that it would happen after cheking it in once or twice and even when using it as carry on for more than 10 trips a year...
I searched for hours but couldn't find a single report on or photo of a used TUMI 19 degree in black alu...

Thanks and best reagrds,
zap!
FYI the 19 in standard alum is a bit darker than the Rimowa. Though not quite gun metal, there is a stark difference when comparing it side by side to a Rimowa. I have the 19 and my wife has a Topas, and we travel together 90% of the time. We have never checked in our bags, so I can't speak for major dents, but from regular wear and tear the 19 holds up better due to the design. The 19 is a bit more sturdy and the diagonal grooves help with distorting scratches better than the parallel grooves on the Rimowa. I love my 19 but will admit the wheels on the Topas are much better, and you do get a bit more packing room with the Topas as well.

Last edited by FlyingKansan; Mar 17, 2018 at 9:01 am Reason: fix