FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does this Plan for Tokyo seem strange?
View Single Post
Old Mar 10, 2018, 2:36 pm
jtm1631

Programs: AA, Hyatt
Does this Plan for Tokyo seem strange?

As I have posted here in other threads, my wife and I are going to Japan for two weeks in May. It will be the first trip for both of us and a trip I have wanted to make for 25 plus years.

We will be spending some time in Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima and a couple other locations the first week. Mostly based from Kyoto. The final 6 nights will be in Tokyo. The more I look into and research things the more bogged down I get. In my business we call it paralysis by analysis. In other words, I'm in the weeds.

I'm starting to revise my thoughts for planning an "itinerary" for the days in Tokyo. While there are certainly things I want to see in Japan, I more just want to experience Tokyo. Instead of planning days by ticking of this shrine or that museum, I'm leaning towards a much more open and general "plan".

My thought is to just list some neighborhoods that I know I will want to see. Then, we will hop on the subway or walk to an area and just explore. I think if we just wander through neighborhoods we will come across some of the places we wanted to visit. Some we will miss but will give us a good reason to come back.

Normally when I visit a new country I have specific places and museums and historical locations I want to see. With Japan we certainly want to go to Hiroshima but other than that, I just want to explore.

Is it a crazy plan, or lack thereof?