FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Self-upgrading Okay for Kids?
View Single Post
Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:10 am
ffsim

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
If he wanted to sit beside his son, he could have gone back to Y. Surely someone in Y would have happily taken the father's seat in J if Y had been full. The kid (or rather his parents) did not pay for him to sit in J, yet he would be sitting in J. Unlike every other person who sat where they had paid to sit (in one currency or another) or were upgraded at the discretion of the airline (if there were any op-ups).
This is the most non-entitled thing that the Dad-in-J could've done ^ I've given up an op-up in the past to sit with a family member in Y, and it was a strangely rewarding feeling. The recipient was extremely thankful and thoroughly enjoyed her first-ever ride up front.

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Let's be clear here: I don't condone self-upgrading, I wouldn't do it and I wouldn't bring my kid up to the J cabin if I was there and he was in Y. And if I did I'd expect the FA/SD to politely ask him to head back to his seat. Assigned seating is a thing. I just find all the faux outrage over something that doesn't directly impact people hilarious.
+1