FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Self-upgrading Okay for Kids?
View Single Post
Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:01 am
RatherBeInYOW

Programs: AC SE*MM
Let's be clear here: I don't condone self-upgrading, I wouldn't do it and I wouldn't bring my kid up to the J cabin if I was there and he was in Y. And if I did I'd expect the FA/SD to politely ask him to head back to his seat. Assigned seating is a thing. I just find all the faux outrage over something that doesn't directly impact people hilarious.

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
You and CZAMFlyer seem to think that things happen in a vacuum, but life is not that simple. While BenL's infamous cheapening comment may have lacked tact, he was saying something that had been said for a while by other airlines. DL, in particular, has been vocal for years about the fact that much of its front cabins have been filled with people who got there through complimentary upgrades (i.e. paid no premium for their premium experience). In any one case, letting a customer sit up front without paying for it (either through comp up or, as in this case, just taking the seat) teaches customers that it can be done without paying for it and they adjust their behaviour accordingly.

While CZAM used the term "slippery slope" in a pejorative sense to imply that this assumption was fallacious, but the airline industry has real life experiences that bear it out and has been pushing customers to move away from this model.
Yes, I am sure one kid sitting in an empty seat next to his dad in J portents a stampede of pax from row 48 in to the J cabin.

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Your boundless self-righteousness is truly extraordinary.
The only self-righteousness I see in this thread is all of the RCMHHP with their panties in a knot over some kid in a J seat he didn't pay for. Like the J cabin on an AC flight is some kind of sacred place that shouldn't be violated by heathens who didn't pay. Get over yourselves people.