FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Resort fee to cover “Honors benefits”
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:29 pm
Hippster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Fees are here to stay and increasing. Just look at them as part of the quoted room rate and then make a decision as to whether you are willing to pay that amount or not.

If is naive to think that the fees really are apportioned to the items specified, e.g. WiFi, bottled water and clean towels or whatever. Those fees are part of revenue and that is the end of it.

If the fees are disclosed ---- and they almost always are ---- and you choose to stay at a property, the fee is neither deceptive nor a ripoff nor anything other than room rent and nothing more.

Why do properties do this? Because search engines sort by price (unless otherwise changed). Consumers, e.g., the people complaining here, trend to booking to properties closer to the top of the displayed list. So, a $400 room appears before a $450 room. But, add $70 to the $400 room and $0 to the $450 room and which one is cheaper?
Sadly it is only going to get worse. Heck Starwood is now tinkering with destination fees- resort fees by another name at an obvious not-a-resort property. I know the Department of Transportation killed proposals in December to make airline charges not-so-hidden in fine print. I doubt consumer protections for hotels will even be thought of for a while from a regulatory point of view. What will happen is everyone will have them everywhere and then one company will magically decide that they can brand themselves as "no resort fees" and drop them to win favor and business with the public. Then they will all go away in response. How long until that cycle completes I'm not sure.