FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amanresorts Thread 2018
View Single Post
Old Mar 4, 2018, 10:59 am
junkiepusher

Long story short. My wife had a Customized 90 min spa treatment there last Monday and it was 90 percent good.
What went wrong.
The therapist finished the treatment 10 mins early, eerily moved her to another treatment room to change her clothes, put on makeup and didn't offer to help carry her things (the receptionist attendants usually offer to store them for you). They also have a cloak room that could have stored them on the lobby floor.

Spa manager comes, listens, berates her therapist behind the frosted glass sitting area then returns. She says the treatment will be comped but since "they are unable to meet our expectations at their spa and that may be we should consider choosing another Tokyo hotel spa for our future travels. Long time FT members will remember what happened 3 years ago when the spa first opened. A disaster and the spa manager even brought that up! The implication being that a) we're too difficult to satisfy or b) just came to mooch another treatment 3 years later. I felt that was a shot below the belt. We're not those kinds of guests that complain to get freebies. We had a very enjoyable dinner at Arva that actually highlighted many familiar Aman attributes!

I wrote Ms. Yagi about everything that happened in the spa and she gave me the most cookie cutter, Tripadvisoresque, response ever. I'm just very disappointed in Aman Tokyo right now. Not the Aman way to handle a guest who takes the time to personally handwrite you and print this off.

wow! We had a similar experience where they also ended our treatment quite early. Then when we brought it up they had the nerve to blame us for being late! It really was a very poor experience that makes us never want to go to their spa again. When in Japan and in an aman you expect service to be exceptional, theirs was disappointing on both accounts. I can't believe the new GM hasn't done anything to better the service of the hotel from the last one. How sad.