FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hotels going cashless (i.e., refusing cash payment) & implications of refusing cash
Old Mar 2, 2018, 5:24 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Hotels going cashless (i.e., refusing cash payment) & implications of refusing cash

Some airlines that charge for food and drink on-board have migrated to ONLY accept cashless payment systems (i.e. cards). And some hotels are going the same way and refusing anything but cashless payments, sometimes claiming the move is a safety issue even as it’s really about reducing cash management costs for the hotel/business.

For some who liked to get rid of foreign cash by using residual cash toward settling the final hotel charges (in part (or even full) using cash when departing country, the hotels going cashless may be an inconvenience.

If your bank cards get stolen or blocked or otherwise rejected for a purchase, having emergency cash for purchases has been useful; but having emergency cash is less useful for travelers when hotels/businesses are trying to migrate away from cash handling and even wanting to reject cash payments.