FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]
Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:06 pm
milesmutt

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Mid-Tier, Marriott PP/Lifetime Platinum
So I just finished my 7-night package stay at the Laylow. Overall, I was pretty happy with the hotel. Modern, clean rooms were appreciated,
as were the pool, gym, and the Hideout coffee shop. We made use of every dollar of the $30 ($15x2) vouchers downstairs too, but the destination fee
of $25 per day was not waived as some had reported.

Everything was as expected of a smaller, boutique-style hotel. I know I'm not going to have a gigantic lap pool and spacious gym, so I set my
expectations accordingly. The pool was plenty nice for my daughter, and I got a few workouts done at the gym.

My only complaint (if it can be even called that) was the lack of an upgrade. I'm sure I was probably only one of a handful of Plat Premiers staying there at
the time so it was disappointing to not get one. Not only that, but the FD clerk said she didn't have any suites available, but then proceeded to offer the next guy,
who was by himself, an upgrade to a Corner Suite for $20! WTH. I didn't say anything, being the nice guy that I am, but I was steaming inside.
It's possible that he was only there for a night, but nevertheless, saying one thing to me and doing otherwise to the next guy was infuriating.
And even though I was supposed to have it, she didn't code my keys properly to have access to the "Executive" level. Not a big deal though as
we didn't plan to go there anyway, as laughable as it is. Yet another PP disappointment to follow the loss of UA Mileage Plus Gold.

I think the location is excellent btw. I didn't care if the beach is a few blocks down (I have feet that work after all and enjoy walking around) and
Waikiki Beach was only a five to six minute stroll past Kalakaua Ave. The International Marketplace (kinda miss the old grungy one) is next door
with its high-end boutique shops, and you're surrounded by excellent dining options.

Our room was on the 12th floor, and had a good view of the ocean to the left side, and mountains to the right from the lanai. Noise was a little higher
on Friday and Saturday nights, but at least the room has decent sound insulation so we had no problems getting to sleep. Elevators during check-out
mornings were sometimes a longer wait, but not bad enough to make my eight-year old groan.

All in all, despite the lack of elite benefits, I would not hesitate to go back to this property.