FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to guard against delays and cancellations
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:19 am
knav2013

Originally Posted by Firemansam
I have had delays with vietjet and Jetstar Pacific both of which showed thet departure and arrival times to the minute after the flights were taken.

I would happily buy those tickets that you are looking at because of the 8 hour difference and the data to show of late that I would have made the flight each and every time.

As for consumer protections here in Australia, even if I bought 2 selerate tickets on 2 different airlines, if one was late due to whatever reason I have no recourse as they are different tickets.
Although AUS airlines are not obligated, VIRgin (presumably Virgin Australia?) and quantas will provide meals and accommodation costs until the traveller reach the final destination.

See: Flight delays: What are your rights, and what should you do?

As for a delay in getting a connecting flight; the same article above says:

Should you have a connecting flight to catch, it would be your airline’s responsibility to find you the fastest alternative flight to meet your connection,” says Ball.

And this is where your travel insurance and booking method might come into play, according to Godfrey.

“Ultimately, airlines should take responsibility when they make a mistake but if you’re travelling on a multi-stop trip, it’s safer to book your flights in one ticket. If all your flights are on the same ticket and one flight is delayed, cancelled or overbooked, your airline can more easily rebook your onward flights at no cost with less hassle.”
I cannot book this trip (with at least 4 hours to travel to KL Sentral and back) on the same ticket. MAS flight is scheduled to arrive in KL 14:00 and their flight back to SGN is at 17:10. Veitjet flight scheduled to arrive in KL at 12:25, flight back 13:10. Unless I go with a travel booking site, e.g. Kiwi, it wouldn't make sense purchasing it on the "same ticket". Rather than go with a travel booking site (which comes with their own flavour of issues) this is how come I was asking, if anyone's booked separate tickets and bought travel insurance to guard against any delay or cancellation.

Yes!, the data (up to now) say's it's rarely happened (i.e.delay) or never happened (i.e. cancellation), but it doesn't mean it will never happen.