How to guard against delays and cancellations

Old Feb 9, 2018, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

How to guard against delays and cancellations

Looking to book a Vietjet flight (scheduled to) leave SGN at 09:30 and (scheduled to) arrive in KUL at 12:30.

I'm planning to return to SGN on the same day on Vietnam Airlines flight leaving KUL at 20:50.

I've heard Vietjet air (alongwith JetStar Pacific) doesn't have the best track record when it comes to delays and cancellations. How can I guard against not missing the Vietnam Airlines flight back to SGN.

Some have suggested booking using a credit card that covers flight delays and cancellations. Unfortunately, the cards I hold don't cover this kind of claim.

Would VietJet offer any compensation if I miss the return flight with Vietnam airways? (because the Vietjet flight was delayed heavily or cancelled) I checked with a travel insurer, they've said any claim must be made with the airline first, and we must have something in writing (e.g. from Vietjet) if we are to make a travel insurance claim for a missed connection.

Any experience claiming for compensation through Vietjet or through a travel insurer (for a Vietjet delayed/cancelled flight) ?
Old Feb 10, 2018, 2:04 am

You will have exactly zero claim from vietjet if you miss your flight as they are separate tickets.
However, looking at flightradar for that flight for the last 3 months it is regularly 20 mins or so late, but only as late as 95 mins past scheduled arrival time, which says you should be quite safe to buy that flight.
knav2013 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 3:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
You have 8 hours before your return flight. I wouldn't worry about it, even if the VJ flight is late, it's highly unlikely to be 8 hours late.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Firemansam
You will have exactly zero claim from vietjet if you miss your flight as they are separate tickets.
However, looking at flightradar for that flight for the last 3 months it is regularly 20 mins or so late, but only as late as 95 mins past scheduled arrival time, which says you should be quite safe to buy that flight.
Happen to see a review about a Vietjet flight from Hanoi to Seoul departing "almost 6 hours late" and the passengers having to stay on board all that time! this is how come I was concerned. I figured it may be a blip but there’s always that slight chance it could happen. Mind you, if it does happen, this is something you wouldn't wish upon your worst enemy (being cramped in an LCC for nearly 6 hours!).

Saying that, I took it upon myself to check the reviewers facts on flightaware (I just have a basic account for flightradar24 so only 7 days of historical data viewable – flightware provides wider date range). Here are my findings.

Flights from HAN to ICN only. No flights to GMP. Two vietjet flights to ICN. they are VJC 960 and VJC 962.

VJC 960 leaving HAN at 01:45 arriving ICN 07:55
VJC 962 leaving HAN at 23:15 arriving ICN 05:25

The reviewer said he'd flown in December 2017.

Checking the December departure times for VJC 960 I can see the latest departure time of 03:00 occurring on 21 Dec 17.
for VJC962 it's 01:37 occurring on 24 Dec 2017.

neither of those departure times are nowhere near 6 hours.

Has are reviewer lost track of time?, spinning us a yarn?, or is there some other explanation?

Even if the flight left 5 hours late, we should be seeing a departure time around 06:45 for VJC 960 and 04:15 for VJC 962.

Last edited by knav2013; Feb 10, 2018 at 11:54 pm Reason: fix typo
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:40 pm

Reviewers can quite often exaggerate things, as we all know why let a lie get in the way if a good story.
its possible the plane went tech causing that delay, that could happen to any flight anywhere.
With 8 or so hours and specific data for your flight for the last 3 months showing the worst delay at 95 minutes then I would worry a whole lot less than what you are.
It will be fine.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

duplicate posting

Last edited by knav2013; Feb 11, 2018 at 10:37 pm Reason: duplicate posting
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Reviewers can quite often exaggerate things, as we all know why let a lie get in the way if a good story.
its possible the plane went tech causing that delay, that could happen to any flight anywhere.
With 8 or so hours and specific data for your flight for the last 3 months showing the worst delay at 95 minutes then I would worry a whole lot less than what you are.
It will be fine.
I think you may be right about that reviewer. Because he also says they were not provided any food during a total time of 12 hours inside the plane.

If the flight was delayed (nearly) 6 hours before take off, this would mean they spent 6 hours in flight. Seems rather fanciful for a flight from HAN to Seoul to take 6 hours. Anyway, I checked the history and no flight has taken 6 hours.

However, I was able to corroborate another review, where the flight was delayed some 2.5 hours (flight: VZ308) Some reviewers have highlighted how VietJet would sometimes change your booking to another flight (or change the time) without any notice!. One reviewer had turned up for her flight (on new year's eve) only to find that the airport was closed!.

No info had been sent by VietJet (at least not to foreigners apparently). She say's Vietjet has knowingly continued to sell tickets whilst knowing the Airport will be closed.

I can't see how someone could eaggerate about the airport closure. Even if Vietjet keeps to the schedules (more or less) I find these practtices rather distasteful.

BTW, do you happen to know how websites like flightaware and flightradar24 get the landing time of the aircraft? IS it passed from the Airport authorities? I saw a forum post on the flightradar24 forums, but no one has answered it.

Last edited by knav2013; Feb 11, 2018 at 10:46 pm
Old Feb 13, 2018, 7:43 pm

I have no idea how they get their data but every single flight I have taken in the last few years has been exactly the same as flightradar data.
i think you are completely overthinking the whole vietjet thing, yes they are far from perfect but there is the data there for that particular flight to show that there has been zero cancellations for the last 3 months. If you're worried about booking it with them then maybe look at a different carrier and pay the extra they are likely going to cost.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:01 am
Original Poster

I have no idea how they get their data but every single flight I have taken in the last few years has been exactly the same as flightradar data.
Have you ever encountered a cancellation and was that reflected on the flightradar data?...How accurate are the landing times on flightradar data (in comparison to your experience?). I've noticed some differences in flightradar and flightaware so they must use different sources.

One thing that makes me slightly doubtful about flightaware data is the fact that VJC825 has departed SGN at precisely 09:40 on more than a handful of occasions during the past couple of months (not so much in December 2017). Surely this is not realistic. A flight cannot possible depart a certain time PRECISELY day in day out. (We are not talking trains here).

If you compare this to flightradar the same flights have left much later. e.g. 16 Feb 2018 flight left at 10:29.

so it seems, if anything, flightaware data should be taken with a pinch of salt. As for the flightradar data how sure can we really be if it's 20-30 minutes off, so a 1.5 hour delay may be recorded as a 1.0 delay. Unless the passenger records the exact time of departure, prior to take off, is anyone gonno be able to tell the difference?

If you're worried about booking it with them then maybe look at a different carrier and pay the extra they are likely going to cost.
Did have a look some time ago. Malaysian Airlines is an alternative at 79 USD (whereas Vietjet costs only 42 USD). I guess the price difference is is due to MAS being a legacy carrrier (i.e. comes with luggage allowance, meal etc.). However, MAS flight is at 11:00, whereas Vietjet flight is scheduled for 09:30, and I'd rather take the earlier flight. It may not be significant if the Vietjet flight leaves close to 11:00 anyway as it had done one time during the last 7 days. It's also departed close to 10:30 on 3 occasions (in the last 7 days).
Old Feb 17, 2018, 10:16 pm

Ok so you really are over thinking this to the extreme. An 8 hour layover will be fine except if the plane goes tech or weather which affects all airlines at some stages.
​​​​​​Flightradar data seems to be correct pretty much 99 percent of the time. The decision is yours with what to do, but if it was me I would be happy to buy those flights if needed.
z4017 and cowie like this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Ok so you really are over thinking this to the extreme...
No, no. I'm being cautious. It's okay for you guys with your EU consumer protection and AU (Australian) consumer protections. Over here, no such thing. we have to kiss our money good bye (although in fairness, I did read a report where Vietjet had compensated customers for a severe delay - wasn't much through). No real complaints procedure either. I remember complaining about a Vietnamese flight attendant being rude. Vietnamese airlines didn't reply.

BTW, I take it you've had a cancellation amongst all those flights you've taken, but not actually checked how it appears on flightradar?

Also, I don't understand what you mean by
...but if it was me I would be happy to buy those flights if needed.
Earlier you said go with a different carrier if I'm worried about booking with VietJet. Now that I've told you the other carrier (MAS), youre saying you would buy either Vietjet or MAS? Now I feel that paying extra and going with MAS would be a waste of money because you seem to be implying they are both the same. (perhaps MAS isn't value for money)
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:50 pm

I have had delays with vietjet and Jetstar Pacific both of which showed thet departure and arrival times to the minute after the flights were taken.

I would happily buy those tickets that you are looking at because of the 8 hour difference and the data to show of late that I would have made the flight each and every time.

As for consumer protections here in Australia, even if I bought 2 selerate tickets on 2 different airlines, if one was late due to whatever reason I have no recourse as they are different tickets.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:19 am
Original Poster

I have had delays with vietjet and Jetstar Pacific both of which showed thet departure and arrival times to the minute after the flights were taken.

I would happily buy those tickets that you are looking at because of the 8 hour difference and the data to show of late that I would have made the flight each and every time.

As for consumer protections here in Australia, even if I bought 2 selerate tickets on 2 different airlines, if one was late due to whatever reason I have no recourse as they are different tickets.
Although AUS airlines are not obligated, VIRgin (presumably Virgin Australia?) and quantas will provide meals and accommodation costs until the traveller reach the final destination.

See: Flight delays: What are your rights, and what should you do?

As for a delay in getting a connecting flight; the same article above says:

Should you have a connecting flight to catch, it would be your airlines responsibility to find you the fastest alternative flight to meet your connection, says Ball.

And this is where your travel insurance and booking method might come into play, according to Godfrey.

Ultimately, airlines should take responsibility when they make a mistake but if youre travelling on a multi-stop trip, its safer to book your flights in one ticket. If all your flights are on the same ticket and one flight is delayed, cancelled or overbooked, your airline can more easily rebook your onward flights at no cost with less hassle.
I cannot book this trip (with at least 4 hours to travel to KL Sentral and back) on the same ticket. MAS flight is scheduled to arrive in KL 14:00 and their flight back to SGN is at 17:10. Veitjet flight scheduled to arrive in KL at 12:25, flight back 13:10. Unless I go with a travel booking site, e.g. Kiwi, it wouldn't make sense purchasing it on the "same ticket". Rather than go with a travel booking site (which comes with their own flavour of issues) this is how come I was asking, if anyone's booked separate tickets and bought travel insurance to guard against any delay or cancellation.

Yes!, the data (up to now) say's it's rarely happened (i.e.delay) or never happened (i.e. cancellation), but it doesn't mean it will never happen.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies guys. I ended up doing this trip without ever going near a plane! It was much more relaxing and enjoyable. No taking shoes off, taking belt off, emptying pockets, aggressive security guards asking to finish contents of water bottle (which clearly has less than 100ml). No clock watching, no listening for announcements on edge wondering if the boarding gate will be changed AGAIN!. No attitude from airline ground staff.

No attitude from flight attendants (Vietnamese airlines flight attendant once offered me a drink by pointing at it - no words were spoken - that's meant to be a legacy airline!)

above all -
No wondering: will I make the connecting flight?. I travelled according to my own timetable.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Mar 28, 2018 at 8:23 am Reason: Remove diversionary and off-topic content
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:29 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Folks, a number of off-topic, diversionary and frankly offensive contributions have been removed. In the circumstances, and given the OP has successfully negotiated a travel conundrum, this would seem to be an appropriate moment to close the thread.

NWIFlyer
Senior Moderator
TTC192Rocket and knav2013 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.