FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Business Extra ("ExtrAA") Program (master thread)
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:55 pm
dkc192

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by chicago747
Quick question. I'm flying today and used a BXP1 months ago to upgrade. In the past I always had to check in at the airport. Low and behold today they app let me check in. I have a mobile boarding pass and also a printed one. I've never been able to do this....has this ever happened to anyone else? I usually find when there is an anomaly...even one that is in my favor, when it comes to airplane tickets it usually means something is screwed up.

Everything looks correct. I called a few days after the upgrades were cleared and they confirmed the upgrades were processed correctly, tickets reissued, and indeed have seats in 1st. I'd rather just go straight thru security and hand over the BXP1's to the gate agent/admirals club agent if I can, versus standing in the check-in line. That can be a pain on a Friday afternoon at O'hare.

Thanks for any thoughts!
This might no longer apply if the new electronic BXP1s are indeed in place...but a "glitch" or "feature" of the paper BXP1 certificates is that in the event of a schedule change causing a ticket reissue, the OLCI block added by Meeting Services when confirming the BXP1 "falls off" the reservation, thereby enabling the traveler to OLCI and (theoretically) never have to surrender the certificate.

For folks who are interested, my understanding of how this works is that when Meeting Services confirms your upgrade, they merely book the C space, without reissuing the ticket into C (as is the case for SWUs or miles+copay upgrades), and add the OLCI block to ensure that you turn in the certificate at the airport. However, when a schedule change occurs, the ticket goes through the auto reissue process and somehow gets reissued into C, instead of merely having a "booking" for C. With that, the OLCI block goes away, presumably since the ticket has been "properly" reissued. Not sure if/how this applies for ticket reissues triggered by other circumstances requiring human review, such as making changes to other flights in the itinerary.

Again, not sure how the reported new electronic BXP1s will affect this "feature".