FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A3 begins charging for advance seat reservations - limited discount for A3*G
Old Feb 19, 2018, 7:55 am
Knobbgb

Programs: A3 *G
My observations from my first flight on Aegean since the changes came into effect.

17th Feb AMS-ATH, flight pretty much totally full, in both C and Y.
I asked very politely at check-in (as a Gold) if they could move me to one of the front seats (I had reserved 17A a week before). I was told that there were only a middle seat available in either row 5 or 6 and was offered one of these. The agent also offered to move me to a window seat in an exit row for free. In the end I stayed where I was as I'm not so keen on the exit row (smaller window, uncomfortable armrest, flimsy tray table etc). I thought it was positive that the agent was willing to be flexible but I don't know if this is an official stance or not. She said there had been quite a few negative comments about it already and seemed keen to be helpful.
I checked the online seat map several times (+48hrs, +24hrs +4hrs etc. and all the front seats were totally blocked to me at all times, so there seems to be no way of 'sneaking' into one of those seats.
In any case, it's not really the seat that matters - the first few ones have more legroom and it's a little quieter up there, but it's the principle - so getting around this, either by working the system or by nice, professional agents, really isn't the issue.
Also, it's not very scientific, but I noticed that most of the pre-boarders who weren't actually in business class made their way towards the back with me, so it's positive (for us I suppose) that people seem disinclined to bother paying for those seats, at least at this early stage.

One interesting thing that nobody has mentioned is that this will surely spell the end of the (unofficial) free middle seat next to a Gold. Of course, they will fill all those middle seats before they offer anybody a free 'up-front' seat. I actually think that THAT alone will be the biggest downside of this for me. I estimate that I have an empty seat next to me on nine out of ten A3 flights - even when they are 99% full. TAfter Saturday's flight, I am certain that I will miss that more than the legroom.

Presuming the charge principle also applies to OA flights, where I suspect uptake will be even lower for a short domestic flight, how is A3 going to cope with the weight and balance issues which can arise with smaller aircraft?
Also, I find it amusing that,on the ATR aircraft (which, for those who don't realise, board from the rear only), they aught not to be be charging extra for up-front seats but for down-back ones!

Last edited by Knobbgb; Feb 19, 2018 at 8:00 am