FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best stopover on drive from Salzburg to Tuscany
Old Feb 17, 2018, 11:15 am
Perche

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by goodwillhinton
I'm doing a two week trip this summer with my family to Italy and Austria. We are renting a car and one leg of our trip is driving from Salzburg to Tuscany. I want to be able to enjoy this drive through the Dolomites and not try to do the drive in one day all the way to Tuscany. I'm trying to figure out the best place to stop for a night. I'm thinking something between Bolzano, Trento, Lake Garda area, or Verona. Any suggestions on best place to stop for an evening along that stretch?
I suggest specifying when you are going. The summer carries a lot of territory. The situation from August 15-30 is going to be very different from July 1-15th.

Bolzano is considered the Italian city with the heighest quality of life according to the Organization of Economic and Cooperation Development, which evaluates 38 countries. It's picture perfect. But it is so close to Germany that it looks like Germany, and the most spoken language is German, not Italian. They eat dumplings and strudel, not pasta and cannoli.

Lake Garda depends on when you go. Garda is in the Province of Trento. There is the capital city of Trento in the province. It's thought of mainly to go skiing, but it will be nice. I don't have anything against Verona, but this should be last on your list.

Last edited by Perche; Feb 17, 2018 at 11:24 am