Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Best stopover on drive from Salzburg to Tuscany

Old Feb 17, 18, 10:46 am
Original Poster

I'm doing a two week trip this summer with my family to Italy and Austria. We are renting a car and one leg of our trip is driving from Salzburg to Tuscany. I want to be able to enjoy this drive through the Dolomites and not try to do the drive in one day all the way to Tuscany. I'm trying to figure out the best place to stop for a night. I'm thinking something between Bolzano, Trento, Lake Garda area, or Verona. Any suggestions on best place to stop for an evening along that stretch?
Old Feb 17, 18, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by goodwillhinton View Post
I'm doing a two week trip this summer with my family to Italy and Austria. We are renting a car and one leg of our trip is driving from Salzburg to Tuscany. I want to be able to enjoy this drive through the Dolomites and not try to do the drive in one day all the way to Tuscany. I'm trying to figure out the best place to stop for a night. I'm thinking something between Bolzano, Trento, Lake Garda area, or Verona. Any suggestions on best place to stop for an evening along that stretch?
I suggest specifying when you are going. The summer carries a lot of territory. The situation from August 15-30 is going to be very different from July 1-15th.

Bolzano is considered the Italian city with the heighest quality of life according to the Organization of Economic and Cooperation Development, which evaluates 38 countries. It's picture perfect. But it is so close to Germany that it looks like Germany, and the most spoken language is German, not Italian. They eat dumplings and strudel, not pasta and cannoli.

Lake Garda depends on when you go. Garda is in the Province of Trento. There is the capital city of Trento in the province. It's thought of mainly to go skiing, but it will be nice. I don't have anything against Verona, but this should be last on your list.

Last edited by Perche; Feb 17, 18 at 12:24 pm
Old Feb 17, 18, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

We are going to be here mid-June. Hopefully that will be before things get too crowded but maybe not. Thanks for the tips.
Old Feb 17, 18, 1:23 pm

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
If you are travelling around Bolzano / Bozen, I would suggest you to spend a day or two in the near city of Merano / Meran, former summer residence of the Austrian Emperor and Princess Sissi: beautiful buildings, thermal baths and artistic Castle with huge gardens.

Then you are on the route to Garda (Brenner Autobahn).
Old Feb 17, 18, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by goodwillhinton View Post
We are going to be here mid-June. Hopefully that will be before things get too crowded but maybe not. Thanks for the tips.
Thatís great. For Lake Garda crowds havenít arrived, and the weather is usually very nice. Warm days, light sweater at night. Now, you should know that just like you shouldnít say Iím going to Lake Garda (if thatís what you said), any more than you can say Iím going to Lake Como.

For example, Lake Como has about 33 miles of shoreline, maybe more. It is dotted with towns. What reallly matters is where you are going on Lake Como. The experience in the City of Como, or Colico, or Varrena, or Menaggio, or Bellagio, are all different. Como and Varenna are sort of polar opposite cities, although they are on the same Lake. One is big, heavy, industrial, dirty, with few redeeming features. The other is a small, quaint, quiet town with a small beach. For example, you could say if someone asks, ďWhere are you going on vacation?Ē You respond, (Menaggio, Lake Como).

Same with Lake Garda. Itís about 150 square miles. You might say you are going to Simione, Lake Garda. Or, Limion sul Garda, and many more. Since this is just a layover, your not visiting all of Lake Garda. You have to choose a beautiful town on Lake Guarda, that is somewhat already close to your route. Like Lake Como, you canít visit Lake Garda, unless you have a week to drive around and explore it.

Id suggest you choose amongst the towns on Lake Guarda that are close to your route, because you wonít be visiting the Lake, just a town.

Search this Thread