FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to guard against delays and cancellations
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:01 am
knav2013

Originally Posted by Firemansam
I have no idea how they get their data but every single flight I have taken in the last few years has been exactly the same as flightradar data.
Have you ever encountered a cancellation and was that reflected on the flightradar data?...How accurate are the landing times on flightradar data (in comparison to your experience?). I've noticed some differences in flightradar and flightaware so they must use different sources.

One thing that makes me slightly doubtful about flightaware data is the fact that VJC825 has departed SGN at precisely 09:40 on more than a handful of occasions during the past couple of months (not so much in December 2017). Surely this is not realistic. A flight cannot possible depart a certain time PRECISELY day in day out. (We are not talking trains here).

If you compare this to flightradar the same flights have left much later. e.g. 16 Feb 2018 flight left at 10:29.

so it seems, if anything, flightaware data should be taken with a pinch of salt. As for the flightradar data how sure can we really be if it's 20-30 minutes off, so a 1.5 hour delay may be recorded as a 1.0 delay. Unless the passenger records the exact time of departure, prior to take off, is anyone gonno be able to tell the difference?

If you're worried about booking it with them then maybe look at a different carrier and pay the extra they are likely going to cost.
Did have a look some time ago. Malaysian Airlines is an alternative at 79 USD (whereas Vietjet costs only 42 USD). I guess the price difference is is due to MAS being a legacy carrrier (i.e. comes with luggage allowance, meal etc.). However, MAS flight is at 11:00, whereas Vietjet flight is scheduled for 09:30, and I'd rather take the earlier flight. It may not be significant if the Vietjet flight leaves close to 11:00 anyway as it had done one time during the last 7 days. It's also departed close to 10:30 on 3 occasions (in the last 7 days).