FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using An Internet Phone On A Marriott Network
Old Feb 12, 2018, 2:59 pm
CJKatl

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by jliehr
Most IP phones are designed to only be ran on an internal network, it likely uses power over ethernet, which the hotel won't have in room. If you can take the phone and make it work at home, then you have a chance. But it's pretty unlikely.
This has not been my experience. I work in an industry where pretty much everyone not in the head office works from home. My former company/division closed 28 brick offices and sent almost 1k people home. I have used a VoIP phone for well over a fourteen years. Once it is connected to the system it appears I am in the head office to anyone on the other end of the phone. We can easily move our phones from place to place and can pretty much forward our calls to any internal or external phone. When I am in the main office, I put a code into any phone and it works just like my phone. Same at a hotel. Even the people who primarily work in the office are able to use their phones remotely and sometimes take the phones with them. The headset with the VoIP phone is excellent so I sometimes bring the phone with me when leading webinars from a hotel room because we cannot use the computer's built in VoIP: many of our customers have their audio unavailable due to their corporate policies. Of course, YMMV.

ADVICE: Call your company's IT department or your VoIP provider and ask if there is anything you need to to before using your phone elsewhere.

Originally Posted by RogerD408
I've carried an IP phone when driving around the country and don't recall any issues connecting when in an hotel, it was pretty much plug 'n play.
This has been my experience, too. The one time there was an issue connecting, my IT department reached out to the number on that triangular cardboard pop-up in the hotel room and the two of them did whatever needed to be done to make it work. So many hotels no longer have the necessary ethernet cord in the room, so I always make sure I've got one with me when I bring the phone with me. The biggest issue is the hotel's internet speed. I've had complaints that a VoIP call is breaking up which is likely due to the speed, so I always have Plan B (mobile phone with a worse headset of the hotel phone holding the receiver like it's 1968) ready to go.