FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AMEX Platinum Sign Up Bonus Removed After Review
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:32 pm
golfingboy
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Quick Update

So I gave AMEX another call on Friday - briefly explained the issue to the rep who said they will write a note and pass off to a department that would review my case and contact me.

Good enough yesterday afternoon I received a call from AMEX after some brief pleasantries the person immediately told me that I had already been credited 60K after meeting the minimum spend requirement I said, I was and the welcome bonus was revoked the next day. The agent said yeah it was redeemed by customer.. Say wha?

Told her that is not correct and explained that I received a letter from AMEX saying after review the points were removed then she said oh now I see it

Went through the same process as the call I had 2 weeks ago then she concluded I still haven’t met the minimum spend because of some refunds. Told her, I have spent more than $5k already before the bonus posted even when factoring in the refunds. She put me on hold to do some math. She confirmed after manually adding/subtracting that I already met the minimum spend a few weeks ago and said there is nothing she can do at this point and its in the hands of the Abuse team (her words not mine). Since this scenario is under their purview I have to wait until March 9th (when the promotional period ends for me) and if nothing posts then at that point they can formally follow up with the Abuse team.

AMEX customer service is really disappointing thus far and their logic makes zero sense to me. Seems like AMEX employs a rather reactionary service culture than a well thought out and proactive culture. I am not sure if the individuals I dealt with provides service for all credit card lines or if they dedicate a group for premium cardholders that knows what they are doing like Citi does.

Now I am having second thoughts about AMEX. Great well rounded benefits and I am someone that generally holds on to the cards (until they alter the benefits that I use for the worse) for a long time but a big part of that is good customer service and if I have any issue down the road is this how AMEX handle things?

Last edited by golfingboy; Feb 6, 2018 at 4:38 pm