FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - conrad bali, fiji Hilton or Mauritius
View Single Post
Old Feb 3, 2018, 2:19 pm
mayaalex

Programs: Hilton Honors, Miles and Smiles, Miles and More
Smile

Of these three, we went to Hilton Mauritius last year (February), with a 5-year old and a 2.5-year old. We liked it a lot - both the island as a whole and the property.
Pluses: nice rooms, nice beach, the main pool is not too big but there were usually enough deckchairs (and it has a very nice shallow section for kids) plus there is a great infinity pool just for adults, good restaurants, including some right on the beach, excellent breakfast (and I really mean excellent), very nice looking and well-kept hotel grounds, good activities (we did snorkelling trips twice and glass bottom boat once - both complimentary for guests).
There is a reasonable kids club so that you can leave your kids there and enjoy the pool for adults
If you rent a car (and in my opinion, you should), you can do some sightseeing on the island but also escape from the hotel in the evening and try very good local restaurants which would be 5-10 minutes drive from the hotel (but difficult to reach on foot, especially with kids). Dinner there would cost you a fraction of the price for the hotel's buffet dinner (which was quite good, actually - and, as far as I remember, kids under 5 eat for free).
Downside - we were also booking for points and they were not quite happy with us booking a normal room (42m2) with two kids. There is a sofa bed good enough for one kid and we asked for a cot for our smaller one - and at the beginning they claimed there is no space for the cot in the room (there definitely was). I think we got the room for 50k per night, which was definitely a bargain, and the bigger ones (junior suites) would probably be much more expensive - so maybe you should check with the hotel first (unless you get lots of points to burn
The island itself is very nice, people are friendly, there are pharmacies and doctors everywhere (might be an issue when travelling with kids as we discovered this year when our daughter got scarlet fever on the plane while traveling to the Seychelles), food is very good. Snorkeling is not as great as in the Maldives but on the level of the Seychelles. All beaches are public but most of the coast is taken by big hotels so you would not have the beach-hopping experience with lots of small and empty beaches like in the Seychelles.