Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

conrad bali, fiji Hilton or Mauritius

Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAexec Paltinum , Hilton Lifetime diamond, Marriot Titanium

I am trying to decide a family trip for the end of December for new years. I am looking now since i am booking all this with miles and hotel points., We would be flying out from los angeles to these destinations, Anyone would recommend one over the other? I am traveling with my wife and a 4 year old and a 6 year old. We have been to the seychelles, costa rica, hawaii, etc. Please let me know which was your fav if you have been to any of these hotels and destinations

thank you in advance
Old Feb 2, 2018, 10:31 pm

I have been multiple times to Bali & Fiji, but never been to Maratious.

However, I have visited Mauritius several times as well.

If you have never been to these places, i would recommend Bali.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 12:44 am
Original Poster

can i ask what you like about bali more then fiji?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Bal has more than just the beautiful beaches that other locations offer. There is the Balinese culture (temples and massages etc), mountains to climb, natural wildlife to explore, and a vibrant tourist scene in general in a compact area.

Things you wont get in Fiji or Mauritius (the hotels with lovely beaches are secluded from the local population areas). Its jusy my observation.
This forum is focused on Hilton hotels and associated information, but it seems you are still researching on a vacation location, not hotels.You could start googling a bit, and also search the Hilton website for info on the various properties in each location. That will help you have a clearer picture and this ask more specific questions.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
This forum is focused on Hilton hotels and associated information, but it seems you are still researching on a vacation location, not hotels.You could start googling a bit, and also search the Hilton website for info on the various properties in each location. That will help you have a clearer picture and this ask more specific questions.
+1. It would be rare for anybody to have visited all three hotels to make an informed judgment, but ultimately you should be deciding on a location first, then figuring out which hotels are suitable. (especially since weather plays such an important role in a beach vacation and Fiji should be into rainy season by New Years...)
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I have stayed in Bali (but not at the Conrad), the Hilton on Mauritius and on Fiji. I'm a scuba diver which may bias my remarks. I loved the Hilton on Mauritius. My birthday happened while I was there and they sent a small birthday cake and two glasses of bubbly unrequested (and I assume known only by looking at the date of birth on my passport). Food is excellent. I don't remember the beach cause I was diving. I love Bali, but be sure to read the threads on the various Hiltons there as IIRC, there were some negatives about the Conrad and some preferred the Hilton. Bali has great beaches, is beautiful. I don't so much like Fiji but then I was diving all the time.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
For a beach trip, I can't recommend Bali. It was profoundly disenchanting to be wading into the sea only to be surrounded by plastic waste - coke bottles, plastic shopping bags, etc.
itchief likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Amelorn
For a beach trip, I can't recommend Bali. It was profoundly disenchanting to be wading into the sea only to be surrounded by plastic waste - coke bottles, plastic shopping bags, etc.
Conrad Bali is not on the best beach in Bali. It's near the entrance to the shipping port. The road outside the hotel is narrow and traffic filled. The better beaches are in Nusa Dua near the Hyatt or St. Regis.
The draw of Bali really isn't beaches, it's culture and that's found inland, not by the beach.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Originally Posted by edsh
Conrad Bali is not on the best beach in Bali. It's near the entrance to the shipping port. The road outside the hotel is narrow and traffic filled. The better beaches are in Nusa Dua near the Hyatt or St. Regis.
The draw of Bali really isn't beaches, it's culture and that's found inland, not by the beach.
I agree. Bali's best attractions are inland.

I may or may not have jumped the gun, as the OP's prior travel record and kids suggested to me that they are probably a beach/ocean-loving family.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 1:01 pm

Not a fan of Bali. (Ubud - inland Bali, or further south Lombok are vastly more interesting and cleaner.)

The Fiji property is long in the tooth and staff issues are a constant.

Mauritius is lovely. So is Zanzibar (apparently Bill Gates's favorite bolt hole)
Old Feb 3, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Miles and Smiles, Miles and More
Smile

Of these three, we went to Hilton Mauritius last year (February), with a 5-year old and a 2.5-year old. We liked it a lot - both the island as a whole and the property.
Pluses: nice rooms, nice beach, the main pool is not too big but there were usually enough deckchairs (and it has a very nice shallow section for kids) plus there is a great infinity pool just for adults, good restaurants, including some right on the beach, excellent breakfast (and I really mean excellent), very nice looking and well-kept hotel grounds, good activities (we did snorkelling trips twice and glass bottom boat once - both complimentary for guests).
There is a reasonable kids club so that you can leave your kids there and enjoy the pool for adults
If you rent a car (and in my opinion, you should), you can do some sightseeing on the island but also escape from the hotel in the evening and try very good local restaurants which would be 5-10 minutes drive from the hotel (but difficult to reach on foot, especially with kids). Dinner there would cost you a fraction of the price for the hotel's buffet dinner (which was quite good, actually - and, as far as I remember, kids under 5 eat for free).
Downside - we were also booking for points and they were not quite happy with us booking a normal room (42m2) with two kids. There is a sofa bed good enough for one kid and we asked for a cot for our smaller one - and at the beginning they claimed there is no space for the cot in the room (there definitely was). I think we got the room for 50k per night, which was definitely a bargain, and the bigger ones (junior suites) would probably be much more expensive - so maybe you should check with the hotel first (unless you get lots of points to burn
The island itself is very nice, people are friendly, there are pharmacies and doctors everywhere (might be an issue when travelling with kids as we discovered this year when our daughter got scarlet fever on the plane while traveling to the Seychelles), food is very good. Snorkeling is not as great as in the Maldives but on the level of the Seychelles. All beaches are public but most of the coast is taken by big hotels so you would not have the beach-hopping experience with lots of small and empty beaches like in the Seychelles.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

thank you so far to everyone.

with a 4 year old and a 6 year old, they really dont care for anything but a nice beach/hotel. I thought the conrad bali would be nice, since it seems like a very kind friendly hotel, but i didnt know about the beach. Maybe the hilton up the street might be a better choice, but the reviews of the hilton arent that great. Conrad is a better hotel with a bad beach, im sure we can take a trip towards the st regis for a nicer beach. I am doing more research on hitlon fiji and once again really bad reviews.

I contacted american airlines to see how we can travel to mauritius, and its only available on British airlines from los angeles, and its 80k miles plus 800 in taxes, to me that is a bad deal.

does anyone have experience with the conrad bali ? or should we just stay local and goto hawaii. Homes is los angeles
Old Feb 4, 2018, 12:54 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, American Platinum, Southwest A-list
Originally Posted by laguy35
thank you so far to everyone.

with a 4 year old and a 6 year old, they really dont care for anything but a nice beach/hotel....or should we just stay local and goto hawaii. Homes is los angeles
I would suggest Hawaii given what you told us (traveling with young kids that like a nice beach and hotel). I'm sure all the other locales have nice beaches and hotels too, but from a cost perspective, getting from LA to Hawaii can be very reasonable. If you insist on staying at a Hilton property, you could try the Hilton Waikoloa Village on the Big Island or the Grand Wailea on Maui. I would suggest the HWV with the kids. I think they would really enjoy the property, and there are wonderful beaches in close proximity (Hapuna Beach State Park is only a 10-15 minute drive away and very nice), and I have seen reasonable award rates for this hotel. Also, a day trip to see the Volcano may be interesting to the kids (heck, I found it interesting as an adult too!) The Big Island offers so much...black and white sand beaches, Volcanoes, wineries, good food (check out The Kona Inn Restaurant...reasonable prices and good for kids and adults), cultural activities...there's something for everyone!
Old Feb 4, 2018, 1:13 am
Original Poster

thank you
we have stayed at the grand W 2 times already and once at the hyatt in Kauai
when using points with hilton Waikoloa is just as expensive then the conrad bali on points. the only thing i would be saving is my AA miles since its less miles to hawaii then asia, etc

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.