FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Justification for Mileage Runs for Gold 75K
Old Feb 3, 2018, 1:12 pm
Eastbay1K
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I might have done a few MRs last year to go from 50 to 75k, but 15 transcons? No way. Time is too valuable (I have a full time job). I did some MRing during my UA days to retain 1K status, but even then I tried to actually not just do pure RTs, but rather do something at the destination (weekend in NY or Hawaii or Frankfurt).
Agreed. I end up doing maybe 1 MR a year when I don't actually do something at the destination, and the last one I did (NYC - not AS) staying by the airport and leaving early the next AM was just not pleasant - but not as bad as (younger) years past when I got back on the next plane after a transcon. I'm now too achy and bitter to do that again. But that's me. I'm not judging. Sometimes it is nice to relax and catch up on movies or reading while enjoying marginal food and some wine or spirits, out of contact with the "down below." I write this as I'm taking a long weekend @ SCL, primarily for the miles, but with 2 nights here, and lie-flat seats for the longhaul segments.

I did need one MR late last year on AS to keep 75K, so I went to MSY for the night - but with 25 hours of ground time there, it made for a pleasant trip, and was worth the 50K bonus plus the status for another year.

The only justification the OP needs is "is it worth it to me?" And when I evaluate these things, it isn't necessarily a dollar-based analysis. It is simply so that when I call AS, they can thank me for being a 75K