FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Justification for Mileage Runs for Gold 75K
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:26 am
FlyingOptimist

Programs: Alaska Air Miles
Justification for Mileage Runs for Gold 75K

I decided on somewhat of a whim to bust out 15 or so mileage runs from January to February between PDX to JFK to hit Gold 75K for the first time (I was just Gold before). I thought about doing it last November when I was close to 75K, but figured it would be better to wait until this year so that I retain the status for about 22 months vs 13 months. My friends and family think it's ridiculous that I would even do that, let alone waste time and money to do it.

My justification to them for doing it was that I would get about 250,000 air miles earned for my account, that I would often be towards the top of the waitlist for first class upgrades for myself and a companion (and get automatic upgrades on Premium for all ticket class types), I can gift someone the MVP status, and I can do same day changes (which would allow me to buy the cheapest flight somewhere, and then change the flight to better times that would have cost at least twice as much or more otherwise, but I guess I already had that with Gold anyways).

Is there any reasoning you guys have used or maybe something I forgot that you would have told people for why you think it would be worth it to do mileage runs to get to Gold 75K, or is it truly not actually worth it in your opinion?

****As a side note, I purchased the tickets all at once with back to back flights during a flash sale and I used 10k miles to lower the price, so each ticket was around $112-$125 for each round trip flight. This was also during the time when flights between PDX and JFK received double miles, so instead of earning the 10k miles for a round trip flight I received 15k per round trip flight (hence about 250,000 earned).

I also have an Alaska lounge membership, so I can sit in there in Portland between flights. I thought I could do it at JFK as well with the Admirals Club, however, it is in a separate terminal so TSA will not let me go through the checkpoint and American Airlines says they no longer have an agreement with Alaska for the boardroom and will not issue a gate pass to go through the checkpoint.

I'd also say that I got a first class upgrade about 1/3 of time time, mainly because there seemed to be many more Gold 75K members who were higher on the waitlist than me for the upgrade.