FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Onboard etiquette: blocked seats
View Single Post
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:38 pm
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
In approx T-60 I'm flying in the WTP cabin, and when I look on EF, I can see a few seat blocks as expected. But equally, I can go into MMB and select any of those blocked seats for myself (a regular, common or garden GCH). So how do we square that circle with the notion that TS is trying very hard to keep them blocked?
Because your lowly Gold status is actually top of the tree, you have no constraints on seat selection, and there typically could be under 5% of passengers (could be 1%) in your lofty position. If you were in the other 95%, 99% you would see a very different seating map, and in terms of keeping seating blocked that is what matters. I suppose there is an assumption you don't want a middle seat, but if middle seats are all that is left - which there should not be - or it's an exit row/bullkhead then you can still have it. So it's about blocking seats for most passengers but for Golds plus giving them most options.