Wiki Posts
Search

Onboard etiquette: blocked seats

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Onboard etiquette: blocked seats

About to fly WTP on the A380, as GCH. I’m in 61A (bulkhead window) and BA.com MMB shows 61B (aisle) as unoccupied, but Expert Flyer shows it as blocked, presumably as I’m a GCH. This seems certain as when I was originally in 61B, 61A was available to me but again blocked according to EF. So in other words Theoretical Seating seems to be doing its best to keep an empty seat next me.

My question is if onboard with me occupying 61A and 61B remaining empty, when boarding completes what do I do if someone further back in a middle seat decides they would rather nab 61B next to me? Do I attempt to ‘defend’ 61B on the basis that BA has deliberately decided to put me next to an empty seat due to my status, and therefore I ‘own’ both seats? Would the crew be armed with this information and deny permission for another passenger to move themselves into 61B?

i’m asking because if I was the passenger stuck in the middle seat, I would probably try to move to 61B!

How would others handle this currently theoretical, but nonetheless plausible, scenario?
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:13 am

With grace and a smile...
OttoMH, Gerbs, markle and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
As crew we have no information about blocked seats and would allow a customer to move to the spare seat, I believe a blocked spare seat in a “ Nice to have”.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Building on the reply above, presumably it would be at the discretion of the crew. And as you haven’t paid for that seat I think you have little to go with. As with a lot of benefits like this that we receive I can imagine that BA would say that they are discretionary and not guaranteed.

Having said that it would be interesting to hear what people’s experiences are in this situation including the OP’s assuming someone comes to nab 61B!

I wouldn’t care myself - if I haven’t paid for it and it isn’t a declared and defined benefit I have no right to even comment!
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:23 am

Is WT looking busy? Because of course any opup could land that empty seat.

You could check the state of play with a lounge agent when you head for boarding. If you are then confident that it is still empty, my advice would be to sit in 61B when you board. People are much less likely to try and nab the empty window seat having to shuffle over you. (Classic train ploy too )

Of course you do then risk someone turning up with a BP for 61B, but you can then just graciously accept your fate and move across.
NeverFirst and mickeyjaw like this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:24 am

My thoughts are also that it isn't yours to defend. Nice if it remains free though...
kaliimc likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:26 am

I see this as one of the benefits of being last to board. Quick word to the crew - is the flight full/is it OK to move - and 9 times in 10 they won't be bothered.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by mr_botak
With grace and a smile...
Absolutely. The blocked seat is a consequence of Theoretical Seating rather than a published entitlement of status.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the useful input. Understand it’s ‘nice to have’ but not an entitlement.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
My last WT+ flight had someone move themselves into the empty 61B aisle seat ASAP.
The only other time I've had that seat empty whilst being in 61A, someone moved. Prime seat due to the legroom and no-one reclining into you.

Sitting further back in cabin, people are less likely to want to seat shift (had 3 flights recently that I've got lucky with).

That said, pretty every WT+ flight I've taken has had a full cabin.

At the end of the day, as others have said, it's nice if it remains empty, but it remains open regardless of what online seat maps say.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:51 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Assume that you are indifferent between an aisle and a window seat.

The pareto efficient thing to do here would be

1/ offer to let passengers in seat D and E to move into seats B and A respectively

2/ you move to D

So - you get the aisle + spare seat.
Original passenger E is not in middle seat
Original passenger D still gets an aisle

Of course, seeing that E is going to move, passenger D may say i like the middle seat, and refuse to move.

Simplest thing for you to do would be to try to defend the seat by sitting in B, and putting your belongings on A.
1flyer likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 2:01 am

Slightly different but my other half did the British 'ignore them' thing when someone helped themselves to his empty adjacent exit row seat (upstairs on the A380) in WT. So a seat that the passenger would have had to pay $$$ for, if not Gold (and if TS had not blocked it already). Cabin crew didn't mention it. And it is hard to be annoyed with someone just getting a bit of leg room on the 22 hour SYD to LHR!
Old Jan 26, 2018, 2:09 am

Surprised BA hasn't gone down the route of monitising the exits etc actually- try moving into a spare one on Virgin and the crew will soon be at your seat with the payment machine!
Silver Fox and Gary999 like this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 2:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Imagine trying to explain this to a random passenger who may or may not have English as a 1st language, may or may not be a frequent flyer, may or may not know anything at all about BAEC status tiers and most likely knows nothing about 'theoretical seating'. And explaining this in the context of a long flight about to depart, everyone a little tired from the airport, the crew waiting for every to be belted up to start the engines...

Do you really want to get into that conversation?
GLA likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by konagirl2
Slightly different but my other half did the British 'ignore them' thing when someone helped themselves to his empty adjacent exit row seat (upstairs on the A380) in WT. So a seat that the passenger would have had to pay $$$ for, if not Gold (and if TS had not blocked it already). Cabin crew didn't mention it. And it is hard to be annoyed with someone just getting a bit of leg room on the 22 hour SYD to LHR!
BA will sell every seat they can. The blocked seat next to you is a “nice to have”, there is no entitlement to anything other than the seat you have paid for. If the crew decide, or allow, someone to move into the seat next to you, they can do that. If the seat next to you remains empty, that’s great, if it doesn’t, that’s the way it goes. If the extra space is so important to you, either buy it, or book a seat in a higher cabin, whichever is cheaper.
PETER01, Tobias-UK and konagirl2 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.