FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Q4/Full Year 2017 Results/Conference Call 23 Jan 2018
Old Jan 26, 2018, 9:19 am
minnyfly

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Just because you keep saying it, it does not make it true...and I am tired of arguing with you about it. I have lived it.
DAY<->ORD on a 2 cabin plane seems to be down to one turn a week...Tuesday afternoons. Everything else seems to be 1 cabin.
That is a drastic reduction in 2-cabin service over the past several years.
And the other routes which used to see 2 cabin -DEN on most days, and the occasional IAD, are all 50 seaters now.

mduell - do you have time to run the schedule on this? I don't know of any other way to prove the obvious.

Oh, and sure, it is nice to see DAY<->IAH be added back this summer...but we are looking at an almost 3 hour flight on a 50 seater, so not like this is a groundbreaking.
I'm not saying because I'm saying it. I'm saying it because it's what the BTS and Dayton Airport stats tell us. I'd be on board with you if that's what the stats show. UA hasn't had drastically more 2-class service on ORD-DAY for many years. And it's ironic that mduell shows you that 2017 had more 2-class service than 2016. ORD-DAY has been a mix of 2-class and 50-seaters for over a decade. Mainline left in 2009, and the RJ mix has been similar for even longer.

IAD-DAY had some 2-class service many years ago, but that was also limited. The overall DAY mix has been in the 50/50 to majority 50-seater range for a long time. The mix has been more favorable to 2-class lately, although overall traffic has been in decline for years. But that has been true for most carriers at DAY. Interestingly mainline traffic has also dropped over the past five years with DL and AA. It'as not a UA thing. It's primarily a DAY/CVG thing. Even if UA gets more 2-class RJs, I wouldn't expect a dramatic increase in service to DAY. That ship appears to be sailing down I-75. Maybe the new focus on small markets will stem the tide in the next few years, but don't expect mainline to suddenly dominate.