FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question: (Award ticket) YYZ to BKK/HKT via AMS layover in Business
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:12 am
Transpacificflyer

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by YOWgary
What are your dates?
Same period as OP
With the Amex 15% deal going on, it's actually more cost effective for me to purchase RT to an AC Chinese hub or even HKG in J and then purchase a connector.
As it is, one can get decent scheduled RT flights in business on Air China or China Eastern to YYZ or YUL for around $3200. My last redemption using AC & TG gouged me for $1485. in fees and charges. Obviously if one can get a routing through ZUR or HKG that's ideal, but they are few and far between with Aeroplan for Bangkok. I am often stuck with only making it as far as HKG and purchasing a connection for $800-$1200. I often purchase my AC flights to a hub and then buy a connection, otherwise the AC airfares just are not competitive.

Trying to use TK isn't much better because of the need for an extended stopover in Istanbul (Yuck). I will do a stopover in PEK because the airport Hilton is nice. Even TPE is ok, but the schedule requires a transfer in YVR and something always goes wrong for me there with delays, and crowds or weather.

Sometimes one gets an awful option via Mumbai or Delhi on the awful Air India. And there are always options with Air China in Y/J combos. However with the low cost of CA tickets, what's the point of redeeming 155k in points?