Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: (Award ticket) YYZ to BKK/HKT via AMS layover in Business

Question: (Award ticket) YYZ to BKK/HKT via AMS layover in Business

Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Question (Award ticket) YYZ to BKK/HKT via AMS layover in Business

Hello FT!

I'm planning to book the following itinerary around March end/early April and was wondering whats the best place and time to start looking for award tickets (I) so I can get every single leg in business and is this itinerary even valid?

YYZ --> AMS (1 or 2 days)
AMS --> HKT (5/6 days)
HKT --> BKK (4/5 days)
BKK --> YYZ (would be awesome to have another layover of under 24 hours somewhere in Europe)
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Not going to happen because;
- No availability in J
-AMS to HKT isn't viable. You need to use a *A hub like FRA, and from FRA at this time, finding a reward seat on LH or TG is unlikely.
Tax & fees will set you back close to $1500
Aeroplan is going to push you towards Air China and with a 155,000 redemption you are best off just buying $3800 RT in J via PEK or PVG .
At the best of times you might make it via CDG on AC with a connection on the TG 380, or using Swiss with a long layover via Zurich.

Your proposal just aint gonna happen because I have been trying for 3 months to burn my miles on a YYZ/YUL/YVR to BKK route without getting stuck in Y and am SOL.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
- No availability in J...
Your proposal just aint gonna happen because I have been trying for 3 months to burn my miles on a YYZ/YUL/YVR to BKK route without getting stuck in Y and am SOL.
Damn! Pretty bad then.

Thanks for sharing your experience in the research so far; I've been getting similar results as well, but still hopeful (I don't know for what though).
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: TK *G
One possible way with low YQ is YYZ-IST-BKK via TK.

If its too challenging to find award ticket with low YQ to HKT, I would book BKK-HKT myself in Y on whatever airline, it should be less than the YQ you pay if you fly to Thailand by TG.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Quick question about the business availability on the return legs from Asia.

I did a quick search for 1-way tickets from BKK to YYZ and quite a few options for J all the way back to YYZ for January, and nothing coming back to J in April beginning.

Now, is this because of the fact that January end is a lot slower in terms of travel compared to late March/early April? Or do airlines free up a lot more award tickets closer to the flying date?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: AC 75K
- No availability in J
-AMS to HKT isn't viable. You need to use a *A hub like FRA, and from FRA at this time, finding a reward seat on LH or TG is unlikely.
Tax & fees will set you back close to $1500
Aeroplan is going to push you towards Air China and with a 155,000 redemption you are best off just buying $3800 RT in J via PEK or PVG .
At the best of times you might make it via CDG on AC with a connection on the TG 380, or using Swiss with a long layover via Zurich.

So much wrong with this post, it isn't funny.

First try - AMS-HKT on April 1: AMS-IST-BKK. Found lots of other options too.

OP - PM me if you want some assistance.
quantumofforce likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
So much wrong with this post, it isn't funny.

First try - AMS-HKT on April 1: AMS-IST-BKK. Found lots of other options too.

OP - PM me if you want some assistance.

Agree. Getting to Europe with LO blocked without scamcharges may be hard, but there are still SK, SN, LX and UA double connect options that the website won't show because it prefers you pay AC $1000 in scamcharges (with SN BRU being a good alternative for AMS by train).

​​​​​​
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
What are your dates?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
...OP - PM me if you want some assistance.
Thank you. I definitely will if I get stuck.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Agree. Getting to Europe with LO blocked without scamcharges may be hard, but there are still SK, SN, LX and UA double connect options that the website won't show because it prefers you pay AC $1000 in scamcharges (with SN BRU being a good alternative for AMS by train).

​​​​​​
Is there a sticky or another article I can read to learn more about some of the things you mentioned such as UA double connect? Its amazing to know how many other options there could be.

Originally Posted by YOWgary
What are your dates?
You probably are asking Transpacificflyer, but in case you happen to have some more time, I'd love to get your input on the following dates (that I intend to fly).

YYZ --> AMS (Mar 25th)
AMS --> HKT/BKK (March 27 or 28th)
BKK-/HKT --> YYZ (April 5/6 or 7th) (a layover of approximately 24 hours on the way back would be amazing)
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by hsandhar
YYZ --> AMS (Mar 25th)
YYZ-ORD-ZRH-AMS, with enough time in Chicago to have brunch in the Polaris lounge.

AMS --> HKT/BKK (March 27 or 28th)
AMS-FRA-BKK or AMS-ARN-BKK, Thai YQ isn't bad at the moment.

BKK-/HKT --> YYZ (April 5/6 or 7th) (a layover of approximately 24 hours on the way back would be amazing)
[/QUOTE]

BKK-PEK-YYZ, Thai and Air Canada. This late in the game, I'd probably take it, wait until two weeks out and pay $100 to move the return leg to BKK-TPE-YYZ if Eva opens up space.
ChrisA330 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

YYZ-ORD-ZRH-AMS, with enough time in Chicago to have brunch in the Polaris lounge.

AMS-FRA-BKK or AMS-ARN-BKK, Thai YQ isn't bad at the moment.

WOW! Thank you. This is amazing.

2 questions:
* Is there a certain web app/site you used to look up these routes?
* If I was to take your suggested routes and book them, I'd imagine I'd have to call AP for the booking, correct?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:28 pm

WOW! Thank you. This is amazing.

2 questions:
* Is there a certain web app/site you used to look up these routes?
* If I was to take your suggested routes and book them, I'd imagine I'd have to call AP for the booking, correct?
Anything that shows up in an award search on the United website as a "Saver Award" can be booked by calling Aeroplan, with the possible exception of LOT airlines.
hsandhar likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:12 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
What are your dates?
Same period as OP
With the Amex 15% deal going on, it's actually more cost effective for me to purchase RT to an AC Chinese hub or even HKG in J and then purchase a connector.
As it is, one can get decent scheduled RT flights in business on Air China or China Eastern to YYZ or YUL for around $3200. My last redemption using AC & TG gouged me for $1485. in fees and charges. Obviously if one can get a routing through ZUR or HKG that's ideal, but they are few and far between with Aeroplan for Bangkok. I am often stuck with only making it as far as HKG and purchasing a connection for $800-$1200. I often purchase my AC flights to a hub and then buy a connection, otherwise the AC airfares just are not competitive.

Trying to use TK isn't much better because of the need for an extended stopover in Istanbul (Yuck). I will do a stopover in PEK because the airport Hilton is nice. Even TPE is ok, but the schedule requires a transfer in YVR and something always goes wrong for me there with delays, and crowds or weather.

Sometimes one gets an awful option via Mumbai or Delhi on the awful Air India. And there are always options with Air China in Y/J combos. However with the low cost of CA tickets, what's the point of redeeming 155k in points?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anything that shows up in an award search on the United website as a "Saver Award" can be booked by calling Aeroplan, with the possible exception of LOT airlines.
And Aer Lingus. Careful with those. Not bookable via Aeroplan.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sometimes one gets an awful option via Mumbai or Delhi on the awful Air India. And there are always options with Air China in Y/J combos. However with the low cost of CA tickets, what's the point of redeeming 155k in points?
There isnt, unless one takes advantage of both stopovers in Europe. Then you are looking at 3x the retail price, and it starts to makes sense.

Again, there is no need to get dinged YQ, lots of routing options, and there certainly is no need to 'suffer' AC (or CA or UA) J

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.