FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Yellow fever certificate: traveling from Lima to Bogota
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:25 am
HankAAFlyer

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, UA Silver, HHonors Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum
Yellow fever certificate: traveling from Lima to Bogota

Hi all,

started typing up the question to pose to the group, but the post got a little too long.. so tried to simplify it a little (apologies if this streamlined version is still too lengthy!)

- tried looking at several sites, CDC, Timatic, WHO, etc but just seems to be confusing.. with conflicting statements on whether or not yellow fever vaccination requirement is required if entering Colombia from Peru (some consider Peru a high risk country for yellow fever transmission, while other sites say only certain areas of Peru are)
- I am traveling with my parents from the USA to Lima for 5 nights, then going to Bogota for 5 nights (quick low key trip to visit the 2 capitals). We've already been to Machu Picchu, Ollantaymbo, Urubamba, Pisac and Cuzco on a previous trip.
- Peru seems fine - no yellow fever vaccination requirement, while requirements for Colombia aren't so clear - some sites say it's required if you come from a high risk country where Peru is listed, but then there are some disclaimers saying that the risk doesn't exist for the entire country, while others mention that Peru is a high risk country except certain areas (Lima, Cuzco, Machu Picchu).
- It's clear if we were starting the trip in the US going to Bogota first then Lima (this would be fine), but not so clear with my scenario with Lima first then Bogota. I can't do Bogota first then Lima with the flight availability on both AA and LATAM using miles.. but the schedule/timing and availability is perfect if I do Lima first, then Bogota, then head back to the US.
- parents are 70 years old, so can't get vaccinated since they're older than 60 years of age
- I have my yellow fever certificate from 2008 (some issues such as the signature stamp of the physician (nurse didn't sign it but just stamped the Dr's signature), never had to present it so i don't know if it'd be considered valid...

does anyone have any experience going to Colombia straight from Peru? Did you have to show your yellow fever vaccination certificate? According to Timatic, my scenario is ok since Peru isn't on the list of countries, but lots of conflicting info for WHO, CDC, other travel providers..

thanks in advance for any feedback/experiences... I also looked at doing just Peru on this trip but the return flights are also bad in terms of availability and schedule, so am kinda "stuck" with the 5 nights in Lima/ 5 nights Bogota itinerary (plan to do day trips from both cities to fill up the itinerary).

Last edited by HankAAFlyer; Jan 21, 2018 at 12:41 am